Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm probably gonna get one anyway. I was looking at that $65 one on eBay. But on a slightly different subject how long would RO/DI be good for? For example, if I made 50gal and used 25gal to mix with salt how long would the fresh and salt last. I assume I would have to keep both covered and circulating right? Would I have to exaust my supply before adding to it or could I continually top off my supplies as they get low? Maybe I should have just started a new thread. Thanks
Graz

Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got the same unit you did Carey and I measured it this weekend making water and is a a 1 to 3 ratio. For 1 gal of RO/DI I got 3 gal of waste. Luckily my water is free with my rent and with only a 20 gal tank to supply I will not use much at all. By plumbing the RO unit to my storage vat with the float valve it will only refill when I do a water change and such, and then it will only be replacing what I use.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers450 View Post
Should i just use tap water..test it then go on with my busines..any advise guys..im really short on budget for ro/di..
If you just want to use tap water (most wouldn't recommend this) run the water through a carbon block to dechlorinate it. This will be a much more cost effective approach than using dechlorinator.

Russ
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers450 View Post
BRITA is that the same company that sell those little water purifier that attaches to your faucet???..i guess i'll be checking them out..

When comparing this to a standard sized RODI you'll end up spending considerably more to operate these little purifiers. These things were not intended to be used for the amount of water needed for a tank.

Russ
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
The R/O & waste output of each unit is going to be different depending on filter condition, membrane rating, input pressure, etc.... My input pressure with all new filters is 85psi, and at that rate I get approximately 9 gallons of waste to every gallon of R/O @ roughly 50GPD (a bit more with brand new filters all around).
With that ratio something is wrong with your system. There are a few things you can troubleshoot quickly. Be happy to help you with that is you'd like.

Russ
Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDChurch View Post
I got the same unit you did Carey and I measured it this weekend making water and is a a 1 to 3 ratio. For 1 gal of RO/DI I got 3 gal of waste. Luckily my water is free with my rent and with only a 20 gal tank to supply I will not use much at all. By plumbing the RO unit to my storage vat with the float valve it will only refill when I do a water change and such, and then it will only be replacing what I use.
Careful here. That float will stop the flow of purified water, but unless your system is equipped with an automatic shut off valve, the waste water will continue to run 24/7.

Those $65 ebay systems are not equipped with an ASOV.
Russ
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is what I thought! I have a shut off for the RO/DI plumbed into the feed line under the bathroom sink so when I'm done making water I can shut off the unit and only turn it on when my tank gets low.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

That'll work...as long as you don't forget!

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com