Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ro/di water system

I just ordered a Ro/di could any one tell me if I should keep it in my wash room only for water changes and adding water or should I run a line behind wall to the wet dry for top off ?? Keep in mind this is in a finished room can't have any issues with water leaking or overflow !! Ate they reliable ??

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

[QUOTE="Smithcinema"]I just ordered a Ro/di could any one tell me if I should keep it in my wash room only for water changes and adding water or should I run a line behind wall to the wet dry for top off ?? Keep in mind this is in a finished room can't have any issues with water leaking or overflow !! Are they reliable ??

Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What sized tank ya got? I kept mine in the washroom with 2 new trashcans on wheel dollies. One can was to mix salt water. In that one I had a decent sized pump (300gph I think it was) with a vinyl hose attached to it. Kept it running 24/7 to keep the water oxygenated. Temperature wasn't an issue with me since the room was warm enuf. The hose was long enuf to put it over the tank and re-fill it. The second can was for fresh water, which I used to fill my 37g reservoir hooked to my fuge with a ATO. Only made that water once every 2-3 weeks since the reservoir held so much.

I've never been a fan of RO/DI/ directly into the tank - prolly cause I never tried it, but I think you'd have to hook up a float switch to make it stop and prevent that water disaster you speak about. The JBJ ATO has float switches already. One for the sump/fuge so it pumped when it got low, and the other for the reservoir so it stopped pumping when that level got too low and you don't burn up the pump. I used a maxi-jet 900 for the reservoir.

The salt water was of course for water changes every 2 or 4 weeks, but I'm a believer in having ready made SW alsways standing by for emergencies.

When I did changes, I'd use the empty FW can to know when to stop removing water (siphoning) such that it matched the SW level when I eyeballed the 2.

Later, my wife made me get a third can (no wheels) which stayed in the laundry room and would be used for the washing machine. She hated to see how much waste water was being thrown away when I made water.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com