RO Unit (Where can I find one reasonably priced)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 75g tank and have grown tired of going to the LFS on a weekly basis to pick up 12g of RO water. I was looking in Fosters and basically the cheapest thing I saw was a setup for about 500, I've heard people saying you can get units for 100-150, is this true? What will a higher priced unit do besides produce more gallons of water per day? I only need about 12 a week.

With a 100gpd system, it will take about six hours to get 12 gal of water. I know Captive Reefs have some smaller units reasonably priced and they are one of the sponsor for this site.

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/index.asp

Or you will get alot of suggestions for filtersdirect on ebay.com. This is where I got mine. I have the 100gpd system.

You can't loose either way, both are selling decent systems for fair prices.

What would the difference be between a five and four stage system?? It's amazing how many systems are out there.

I'm not sure. Just one extra filter for the water to pass through. Perhaps it's an additional carbon filter? Don't know. What system are you looking at? Darrin at Captive Reefs is super nice and can help you in deciding a system that would work best for you. You could post in the sponsors forum or pm him directly.

100 gpd unit should make 5 gal an hour if running correctly.
E-bay is selling nice units for around $100 Several guy in my reef club just got them. filtersdirect I think......
The more satges the more filters that are used.... Some run 2 micron and 1 carbon then the membrane then the DI others run with 2 carbons and so on...

they are all pretty much the same so get the most GPD you can efford. How is your water pressure at the house? This is the only major factor ..... Low pressure means low output and more waste water......

Not sure, I think the pressure is pretty good compared to previous homes I've lived in. So what you're saying is that the more filters the less waste water I've got?

Your right. Actually, my math is off, again. Mine would take about three hours to make 12 gal. That's another thing to take into consideration. Maybe mine is slower due to passing through six filters as opposed to three or four. :?

Not too worried about time. I just can't understand why Fosters cost so much? I just PM'd Darrin, I'm sure he'll offer me something reasonable. Even if I spend 200 bucks, that will pay for itself in less than six monthes.

Fosters your paying for the name..
More filters means more filters that is it... the more filters before the DI resin just help to remove more waste in the water not create more waste water.
You will have the same amount of waste water it runs about 4-5 to 1.
Low water pressure can produce more waste that all Im saying.
Trust me when you want water you do not want to wait 3-4 hours to get 1 gallon.
Ebay is the place to go....
For 200 you can buy a great unit on ebay and have money left over for something else like more LR or another fish.
Do a search on the site there are other posts on this subject. We need to save money where we can in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom