RO vs Tap Water Filter (Aq. Pharm.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 55G FOwLR and was wondering if it would be acceptable to use a Tap Water Filter (Aq Pharm) that only cost $28 vs using a full RO unit. What would be the difference to the tank and livestock and would any additives need to be put back into the water during water changes? Thanx.

I tried going this route originally. Don't waste the money on the Tap Water Purifier. In order for it to work properly you have to run the water very slowly through it. Mine only filtered about 25-35 gallons before needing a replacement DI cartridge. IMHO your better off starting with a RO/DI filter. Check ebay, they have some pretty good deals.

Brian

You may also want to check your LFS to see if they sell RO water by the gallon. If you find one that deals strictly with fish chances are they will have RO water for sale to the public.

The best thing I found is the machines outside of grocery stores. They are mostly RO/DI machines and are usually .25 per gal. I do 5 gal water changes this way. LFS's around here charge in upwards of $1 per gal. too steep for me...

Thanx for the advice. My LFS recommended the Tap Water Purifier and I spoke (on line chat) with a person at Dr Fosters and they also recommended. However, my spidy senses were tingling as I was wondering why everyone was using more expensive units if this $28 alternative worked just fine. Apparently it may work but you need to change the filter every other water change!! I will start with water changes from the LFS or grocery store until willing to bite the bullet on a RO/DI system.

Back
Top Bottom