Ro water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a new RO unit. TDS is 0ppm for out water. Water in is 12-14ppm. Is this considered high? Or the norm? I get city water. Any thoughts? Thanks.

So my existing 4 stage should last a bit, I imagine. Before changing filters.

My water coming in is 135-140. Leaving the RO filter is 2, leaving the DI is supposed to be 0. Mine has been at 0-1 recently because I need to change the resin.

I checked again this morning, it was at 7-9ppm going in, I guess it varies. What is a better gauge? Wait until ro starts producing 1-2ppm tds, or wait until the resin completely or partly changes color? This the 1st time I've had a brs 4-stage. Another question I have is, when it's time to change the resin, do the other 2 filters also need changed? I guess I only gathered that the pre filters should be changed every 3-6 months, depending on water quality and the ro membrane every 3 years! I got the plus version, so I have that ro membrane flush feature. Any input or exp that anyone might have is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm getting ready to change it all up (minus the membrane) I have a 5 stage and I change the filters when the TDS readings get to one or two. My resin is probably 70% orange but it obviously isn't doing the job anymore. My suggestion is to get a double inline TDS meter from BRS, and put it before and after the DI. Put a "t" between the RO output and the DI. Run the system with the DI shut off until the readings from the RO come down (they usually spike when first turned on. RO filters need flow to work and they build up TDS when not flowing). This will help the resin last longer.

Oops, just saw the brs vid. Looks like a "general rule" is every year for the pre filters. The di resin is a little more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why change the resin if it is still functioning?

I meant the DI Resin will probably need to be changed more frequently than the pre filters. I have the color changing one. So probably when it gets 70-80% orange.

Back
Top Bottom