Rock/coral info new help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike jones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright so I was walking around the house when I saw two pieces of Rock that looked fake and where pure white and so I grabbed them an took them up to my mom and asked about them and my mom said that when her and her mom went to Hawaii they did some diving into the ocean and her mom brought up the two rock and kept them and brought them back up to Alaska later on that year my moms mom developed ovarian cancer and died november 2nd 1993 and I thought it would kinda be cool to put in my tank and I'm sure my mom would be happy to see it be brung back to life I'm new to salt water aquarium so if you guys could tell me about them and if it's possible thank you

Attachments

• image-2246850602.jpg
    image-2246850602.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 72
Well they are def coral skeletons. The one on the left reminds me of one of my SPS corals, but in reality have no clue what they are. There are many corals that aren't in aquaria and that is all I know.

Would they be able to become back to life I'm new to saltwater.?

Not sure really mate but if you could you would have to cure the rock 1st for about 2 months with water changes every week

That sounds like a nice idea!! I'm no expert, but as far as I know, if it has been totally dry for a while, it's dead rock right now. I've brought things from the ocean and put them into my tank. I would boil the rocks for a few minutes first, let them cool, then put them in the tank. If its dead rock, it shouldn't cause a mini cycle. The rock will become live rock over time.

I thought it may need to be cured as the ammonia levels will go very high other wise ...... Unless you do 1-2 water changes a week and keep testing the ammonia levels to make sure there not to high

They've been out so long it shouldn't be an issue. I do agree you do need to boil the rock. After that they will be fine to add. I've done this with a few myself.

Would I risk some how destroying the rock or damaging it?

Those are nice rocks. The possible damage would be moving them. It is likely a calcium mineral material and could be very brittle.

Just be careful when you're picking it up to move it. You don't need to boil it for long, just couple minutes to kill any germs/bacteria that's on it. Then let it cool and be careful again when you pick it up to put in tank. put them on top of other rocks so that you're not piling heavy rocks on top of them. It should be good.

Back
Top Bottom