Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
POLARBEAR0871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,169
Sweet thanks guys Hey can you guys check out my other thread on what I think is a sponge growing there's pictures of it in the thread thanks
__________________

__________________
POLARBEAR0871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jeh1487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 61
can he/she still use it for BB i was thinking about adding some dead coral .
__________________

__________________
jeh1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh1487 View Post
can he/she still use it for BB i was thinking about adding some dead coral .
Yeah you can definitely still use it for bb.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jeh1487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 61
sweet

i was going to cruch it up and put it into my sump i got about 200 pounds of LR and sand in my 90 gal tank with a lifereef skimmer rated for 300 gal tank the water is glass clear lol
__________________
jeh1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
That light I'm assuming is a t8 bulb and will not even grow the lowest light corals. You need much better lighting for corals.
I disagree with this blanket statement even tho I am quite new at the whole saltwater scene and just have a very new 10 gallon setup. I fully believe that T8 lights WILL grow SOME type of corals in smaller tanks.

The author wrote that he has 24" aqueon 17w lighting (tells me his tank is smaller). Now if it is a 10 or 20 gallon tank that is less than say 16 inches deep. I believe (and could be wrong) that he could get higher lumen, CRI and kelvin bulbs for that fixture that will grow say SOME zoas, mushrooms, palys and some leather soft coral....
It wasn't long ago that saltwater hobbyists were using T12 and T8 lighting exclusively for just that ... I'm just saying, some folks can't afford the uber popular and therefore expensive lighting systems! Doesn't mean that they can't have a beautiful tank ... they are just more limited in what they can put in it
Just my 2 cents...
__________________
10 gallon fresh + 10 gallon salt
Tmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar View Post

I disagree with this blanket statement even tho I am quite new at the whole saltwater scene and just have a very new 10 gallon setup. I fully believe that T8 lights WILL grow SOME type of corals in smaller tanks.

The author wrote that he has 24" aqueon 17w lighting (tells me his tank is smaller). Now if it is a 10 or 20 gallon tank that is less than say 16 inches deep. I believe (and could be wrong) that he could get higher lumen, CRI and kelvin bulbs for that fixture that will grow say SOME zoas, mushrooms, palys and some leather soft coral....
It wasn't long ago that saltwater hobbyists were using T12 and T8 lighting exclusively for just that ... I'm just saying, some folks can't afford the uber popular and therefore expensive lighting systems! Doesn't mean that they can't have a beautiful tank ... they are just more limited in what they can put in it
Just my 2 cents...
Corals surviving and growing are two separate things. I have seen all those corals you listed survive under t8 bulbs but I have barely seen them grow. It is extremely slow if at all. Their colors would most likely brown out as well due to low par from the t8 bulbs. The op could go out and get a cheap power compact, compact fluorescent or even cheap t5 ho 4 bulb fixture and grow corals rather than just have them survive. Lighting doesn't have to be crazy for corals. I had a $45 led odyssea fixture on my ten gallon and grew lps as well as birdsnest.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 206
Ok, I stand corrected! In my own defense however, I live in Canada. NO "upper end" aquarium lighting here is less than $150 bucks + tax. No cheapy $45 deals for us. I have also been searching craigslist in my area too, but most those people charge new prices for the used stuff as well......
None of our mainstream pet stores have any type of "buck a gallon" sale on tanks, or even once or twice a year GREAT specials. Shipping of tanks, dry goods, food, rock etc is exorbitant and then duty at the border adds insult to injury. Corals, livestock, live rock and living entities are not even allowed to cross our borders... I sooooo want to move to the US right now!!!
__________________
10 gallon fresh + 10 gallon salt
Tmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar View Post
Ok, I stand corrected! In my own defense however, I live in Canada. NO "upper end" aquarium lighting here is less than $150 bucks + tax. No cheapy $45 deals for us. I have also been searching craigslist in my area too, but most those people charge new prices for the used stuff as well......
None of our mainstream pet stores have any type of "buck a gallon" sale on tanks, or even once or twice a year GREAT specials. Shipping of tanks, dry goods, food, rock etc is exorbitant and then duty at the border adds insult to injury. Corals, livestock, live rock and living entities are not even allowed to cross our borders... I sooooo want to move to the US right now!!!
Haha that stinks! I do agree that people used to keep corals under t8 lights before and probably had some success with enough bulbs. I was just saying one 17w t8 over a tank is not very much light. I haven't been on your 10 gallon thread in a while, ill head back over there to check out how you're doing.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
POLARBEAR0871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,169
It's a 24"light on a 40gallon tank it's a foot or a ill more deep and about a foot wide ill have to measurements again but I do have a type of coral growing on my rock but its a common type of coral that pretty much everyone can get just by buying the right piece of rock
__________________
POLARBEAR0871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
T12 lighting is pretty powerful lighting. They make VHO T12 lamps that are extremely powerful. Those fresh water, standard, aesthetic, strip lights are weak and while I see them over coral tanks at some stores, they are just for display. Any coral that doesn't get sold pretty quickly usually browns out and/or dies off.
Where are you located PolarBear? I may have some light around here I'm about to throw away that I might be able to send you. Shipping will be your responsibility though.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.