Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Rocks and its inhabitants

just curious but can a live rock with inhabitants benefit your tank in anyway and if they dont have stuff on it what can it do because i used to have these worm things on it,other stuff, and like a microscopic hermit crab or something that my fishes ate and now there isnt anything living on my "live" rocks
btw you know the rocks that people use in freshwater (the dark brown colored ones)...well can i put it in my saltwater tank???

peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Put some new LR in the tank and the small life will migrate to the other rock. It`s called seeding. I cant comment on the FW rock because I dont know what it is composed of.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LR is very important in the biological filtration process. It will house your beneficial bacteria. The other stuff is a bonus.
I would not put FW rocks in your SW tank, unless you know it does not contain any heavy metals.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Roka. I wouldn't put those rocks (FW) into a SW tank.

How long has your tank been set up? What do you have in it? What kind of filtration do you have? What are you water parameters ammonia, nitrAte, NitrIte, PH??
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The rock used in marine tanks is generally broken bits from coral reefs. It is very porous which allows water to flow through through it. Being porous also gives it tremendous surface area. Bacteria live on the surface area of the rock. The brown rocks used in fw tanks do not have any where near the suirface area of the rock used for LR. It therefore has little benefit and could, depending on its makeup (heavy metals) be detrimental.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

rock, rocks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com