rocks from beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just came back from Jamaica. I brought back some rocks I found on the beach. Is it OK just to drop them in my tank or my sump?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110317_180715.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110317_180715.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
Generally its a bad idea to take anything from the ocean and put it in your tank. There's a million variables that could be catastrophic for your tank. Though they look nice I wouldn't do it. If you are gonna go ahead with it anyways I would atleast QT them for a while to make sure they're ok.

BallinCrew10 said:
Generally its a bad idea to take anything from the ocean and put it in your tank. There's a million variables that could be catastrophic for your tank. Though they look nice I wouldn't do it. If you are gonna go ahead with it anyways I would atleast QT them for a while to make sure they're ok.

These are dry rock that was on the beach

The concern is that being out in the open like they were they have high potential to pick up contaminants that could be detrimental to your tank. If you want to proceed and try them, that's a risk you have to decide to take.

There are things you can do to lower that risk, like boiling the rocks or washing in a light bleach solution and rinsing VERY well, to help lower the risk, though.

Back
Top Bottom