Rocks turning BROWN!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwilcox1208

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my tank cycling for about 3 weeks now. I have some good sized peices of LR in there, and they are doing good. a few of them came with the green and purple algage covering them, but now some of them are getting some brown all over them?? Its not hairy or anything, but its just turning brown. mostly just one that wasnt already purple or brown. Also my white Live sand is starting to get brown spots all over it...whats the deal here?!?!?!?! How do I get rid of it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

heres some pics of the brown stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 183
I had the same brown stuff growing on my rock. They said here that it was diatoms and that it would eventually burn out. Anyways the experts should answer your questions soon.

Looks like diatoms. They are a part of the cycling process. They will go away as your water quality improves.

Yup... looked just like mine right now.... but it's starting to go away... Diatoms is correct.....:)

how long does it take to go away?? I started cycling last week ( so I thought! now i hear I have to add shrimp, I thought the LR would take care of that & I have to start over). If I add shrimp today to get ammonia going, how long til it's gone?? it's ugly.

it can take up til you cycle is done some of it will go away once you do a PWC.... Also when you do a water change you can siphon some of it out....

Don't worry man, I had the same thing with mine....had a massive brown algae outbreak (I used tap water instead of RO/DI), and it lasted a good week and a half. But once it eats all of the silicates? in the water, it will balance out.

Back
Top Bottom