Salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7www7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 1 month tank and still cycling. Im just curious is it ok since my plan is just a fowlr tank maybe ill just make the salinity from 1.009-1.013 to prevent ich and other diseases. what are the advatages and disadvantages?

thanks

Welcome to AA!

I would do the hyop in a QT tank rather then the main. FOWLR really needs to be higher then that to keep things happy and healthy.

FYI i dont have ich disease. i dont have any livestock yet in my tank. i just want to know if i can use the hyposalinity in my maintank to prevent future diseases. :)

I brought up the link because you stated, "my plan is just a fowlr tank maybe ill just make the salinity from 1.009-1.013 to prevent ich and other diseases." In my link I state, "In order to eradicate the parasite naturally the salinity must be <16ppt (<1.009); otherwise, lowering the salinity is pointless other than therupeutic osmoregulation." Regardless of ich, lowering the salinity does nothing more for the fish health-wise nor prevent disease/parasites. Keeping the salinity within a given range of their natural salinity is best ime. I would not perform hyposalinity in your main system as it will destroy any invertebrate life.

I brought up the link because you stated, "my plan is just a fowlr tank maybe ill just make the salinity from 1.009-1.013 to prevent ich and other diseases." In my link I state, "In order to eradicate the parasite naturally the salinity must be <16ppt (<1.009); otherwise, lowering the salinity is pointless other than therupeutic osmoregulation." Regardless of ich, lowering the salinity does nothing more for the fish health-wise nor prevent disease/parasites. Keeping the salinity within a given range of their natural salinity is best ime. I would not perform hyposalinity in your main system as it will destroy any invertebrate life.

Oh.. now i know. Thank you. whats the average salinity for a fowlr tank? ill put some cleaner shrimps :)

I would suggest from 1.022- 1.025. I agree that I would not run my salinity that low. I dont think your inverts would make it that low.

I agree, if you keep your salinity that low, your hitch hikers/macro algaes/inverts will not be happy. I have a few zoas and button polyps in my 55 that didn't grow (I used to keep mine at 1.020) until I upped mine to 1.024.

Back
Top Bottom