salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a hydrometer and my reading is 1.020 is this too low?so far i only have a lawnmower blenny in my 75 gal comm tank.it shows on the meter to keep it at 1.020-1.023

1.026 is ideal. You are a little low. Also, a refractometer would be a good addition. Hydrometers are notoriously innacurate.

Imo if you do not have an ato in place I would keep it at 1.025 or atleast i do so that after evap I don't go over 1.026 but spoon is correct 1.026 is ocean water salinity

ok,illl look on the jug and see if it says anything

If your going to raise the salinity and you should make sure you do it slowly so as not to shock anything

You should never salt a tank with live stock. Mix with RO, circulate, heat, and dissolve before adding. Saltwater needs movement and aeration before mixing into tank.

okay thanks,maybe thats why i had problems in the past

Raising Salinity - Does This Sound Right?

:confused:
I am wanting to raise my salinity from 1.023 to 1.024. From 30ppt to 32ppt.
I used a salinity calculator and it suggests....

This plan calls for 1 water changes
Tank Sal. (BEFORE) Gallons Salinity Tank Sal. (AFTER)
1 1.023 sg / 30 ppt 12 1.04 sg / 52.5 ppt 1.024 sg / 32 ppt

Adding 12 gallons of 52.5 ppt, would this hurt my fish?

I think you got you math wrong. If your at 1.023 and you did a 50% water change with 1.025 then your end result will be 1.024. Its not as complicated as it seems.

rrustenholtz said:
That would be a 60 gallon water change. A little excessive and expensive to raise salinity 0.001 point.

It was just an easy example. You can also top off with saltwater until you reach desired salinity and then resume freshwater use.

It was just an easy example. You can also top off with saltwater until you reach desired salinity and then resume freshwater use.

The above is what I would do as well. :) Just top off with mixed saltwater for a few days or a week or so and it should rise very gradually which is a good thing. :)

You can also mix the top off water at a little higher salinity and top off with that and it will go faster but I'd go with the slow and easy way.

That is the route I chose. I am just topping off with premixed and doing the raise gradually. It is working slowly and my fish don't show any signs of stress.

Back
Top Bottom