Salinity mathematics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
If 1/2 cup of salt per gallon yields 1.022 sg, how much salt will yield 1.026? Hate to sound like a high school teacher here, but my brain is math illiterate... Thanks :cool:

I don't think there is a mathematical equation but this is on Kent Marine's website....

Dissolving ½ cup of KENT Marine Reef Salt in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of purified 78°F water will yield a solution with the following properties: Specific Gravity: 1.021 - 1.023

To reach the recommended specific gravity of 1.024 to 1.026 for reef aquariums, dissolve an additional 2 tablespoons (½ cup + 2 tbsp) of KENT Marine Reef Salt per 1 gallon (3.8 L) of purified 78°F water. This will yield a solution with the following properties: Specific Gravity: 1.024 - 1.026

So let me also ask this... Say everyone's goal for salinity is 1.025 (just sayin, I know it's not) and they mix salt water and it ends up being 1.022, how much do you add at a time to bring it up and how long do you wait in between testings? A tablespoon at a time? (in 5 gallon increments btw)...

So let me also ask this... Say everyone's goal for salinity is 1.025 (just sayin, I know it's not) and they mix salt water and it ends up being 1.022, how much do you add at a time to bring it up and how long do you wait in between testings? A tablespoon at a time? (in 5 gallon increments btw)...

I mix in a 5 gal bucket though I only fill it with 4 gals of water. If my sg is too low I usually at a big pinch let it mix for min 6hrs and then test again.

Back
Top Bottom