Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll have to have every test you can get just to dose to proper levels which would be way more expensive and time consuming then just getting the correct bucket of salt

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You'll have to have every test you can get just to dose to proper levels which would be way more expensive and time consuming then just getting the correct bucket of salt
You have consistent numbers just using a brand of salt? What salt are you using, no one brand of reef salt will give you the same numbers as the next aquatics.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSum89

You have consitent numbers just using a brand of salt? What salt are you using, no one brand of reef salt will give you the same numbers as the next aquatics.
Not exactly consistent but if your dosing there could be a potentially huge difference especially in a small tank. I would only advise dosing a tank of corals after getting some experience of how things actually work in a reef system especially when you can just buy a salt for a few more bucks that has everything
Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Not exactly consistent but if your dosing there could be a potentially huge difference especially in a small tank. I would only advise dosing a tank of corals after getting some experience of how things actually work in a reef system especially when you can just buy a salt for a few more bucks that has everything
Well i dont know how big his aquarium is, but you could be right IF its smaller than 40 gallons.. Dosing is being consistent, just using brand reef salt isnt. One batch could have built up ammonia from the extra added gunk, one batch could have high calc while the next one is nearly perfect.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hate to sound like a NOOB.. But what exactly is dosing? Only a month deep into the hobby! 8-X
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
Hate to sound like a NOOB.. But what exactly is dosing? Only a month deep into the hobby! 8-X
Exactly my point and absolutely no offense to you benamayer but dosing should not be practiced by the novice reef keeper imo to many chances for a huge mistake which could.cost a lot when we are talking about a $10 difference in salt
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let the pros mix it up for you until you feel comfortable with the make up of your water to the extent that you can reproduce ideal conditions lol
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why would I take offense to that? I'm admitting I'm new, I just wanted to know about the salt I'm using lol... I like the options tho!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
Why would I take offense to that? I'm admitting I'm new, I just wanted to know about the salt I'm using lol... I like the options tho!
I've learned to tread lightly on these forums since a lot of people seem to be offended by the smallest things anymore
Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just recently learned what dosing is myself from alot of reading on this forum and google. Its basically adding a certain amount of dry mix (calcium additive for example) and water into a high flow area in your tank for added calcium/alk and other things for consistant levels for a healthy growing reef tank.

But for reef salt, even though im just sticking with the regular IO salt.. Id reccomend either reef crystals or red sea coral pro.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com