Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

SALT!

I hear the Instant Ocean salt isn't that great quality. 2 questions. 1- is this true (especially for a FOWLR) and 2- if I switch, would any harm be done by using the new salt in 10% weekly changes?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For fowlr you shouldn't be to concerned about it there all pretty much the same when it comes to that.. when you get into corals its a whole other story though

Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so if I plan on adding corals, I need to change... Same with anemones? I want to give my mocha clowns a house!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemones I'm not so sure about but yes you'll need reef salt
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
If you just dose a 2 part or 3 part of dry calcium /alk , instant ocean will do just as good as any reef salt. Plus regular instant ocean doesnt have any extra additives so it wont have any trace of ammonia.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ksum- doing that will be ok for corals/anemones? I have about 50% left of a instant ocean bucket I don't wanna toss!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer View Post
I hear the Instant Ocean salt isn't that great quality. 2 questions. 1- is this true (especially for a FOWLR) and 2- if I switch, would any harm be done by using the new salt in 10% weekly changes?

There's a reason nearly all large & public aquariums use Instant Ocean salt. It cheaper and it works.

Your inverts won't care if you use a reef salt or not. There is enough iodine in IO for your crabs etc. Anemones don't need a reef salt.

If you're going corals, then you can use a reef salt or stick with a regular salt and just dose as needed. Up to you.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSum89
If you just dose a 2 part or 3 part of dry calcium /alk , instant ocean will do just as good as any reef salt. Plus regular instant ocean doesnt have any extra additives so it wont have any trace of ammonia.
There's more to a quality salt mix then just your alkalinity and calcium. What about you iodine,
strontium, magnesium and many other elements that are needed to sustain corals long term
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use instant ocean regular crystals for my fowlr and reef ones for my reef tanks. I have had zero issues with it and will continue to use it. I've tried a few other brands but did not notice any difference so I'm sticking with the cheaper salt that works just as well.

I do dose a couple times a week in my 125g but that's due to the amount of corals I have in there and my water change schedule. If you go with weekly water changes you should not run into any problems with the instant ocean.

For the record, people have strong opinions on salt mixes and everyone has a favorite so my best advice is to use whats working for you and find your own favorite.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
Ksum- doing that will be ok for corals/anemones? I have about 50% left of a instant ocean bucket I don't wanna toss!
Yes it will be perfectly ok. The 2 part will provide you with what your additives the salt is low in... You will just have to test your calcium and alk and maintain them.

I'd try Seachem reef calcium along with reef builder from drsfostersmith site OR the 2 part or 3 part from Bulk reef supply. The BRS route will be cheaper, but IMO you get what you pay for and im using the Seachem brand for right now. I may switch though when i run low...

Read up and google on the products

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com