Salt on the water line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJ Scuilli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's up everybody.. I have a fish only salt water tank and I noticed that when I look up at the water line there a bunch of salt just sitting on the water.. Is this normal and supposed to be like that?. Or am I doing something wrong?.. Thanks for your help!!

What's up everybody.. I have a fish only salt water tank and I noticed that when I look up at the water line there a bunch of salt just sitting on the water.. Is this normal and supposed to be like that?. Or am I doing something wrong?.. Thanks for your help!!

May not have enough surface movement. Does the water have a lot of movement at the surface?

I have the outflow tub from my filter pointing towards the surface to move it around, and what's a sump?..

How do you mix/add your water? Do you have any other surface agitation other than your filter? A sump is a desperate tank that usually sits under your display, with an overflow and return so it pumps our water through it, sometimes filled with live rock or cheato, you can put your skimmer and heater in there too to keep it out of your display...

How do you mix/add your water? Do you have any other surface agitation other than your filter? A sump is a desperate tank that usually sits under your display, with an overflow and return so it pumps our water through it, sometimes filled with live rock or cheato, you can put your skimmer and heater in there too to keep it out of your display...

I have a wet dry filter that I'm about to set up. You put the heater in the box of the filter or in the tank?

If you have a sump you can put it in there, otherwise it goes in the tank. I am not familiar with a wet/dry set up so I can't help you there...

I don't have an over flow wall.. My heater and all id in my tank.. I have a canister filter..

I have to ask, your not mixing your salt and water in the tank right?

Get some Power Heads at least two. I have one on the right side pointing down and toward the front, the other is pointing up and towards the back. I try to keep the flow going circular around my rocks. My Canister filter out flow is just doing it's thing and creating more movement.

I will also suggest you get a Skimmer!

Here are the powerheads I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia...F8&qid=1374300327&sr=8-3&keywords=power+heads

Here is the Skimmer I have!
http://www.amazon.com/CoralVue-Tech...&sr=1-3&keywords=reef+octopus+protein+skimmer

I would suggest this Skimmer because it's cheaper and it's the same brand. I didn't know they made this one otherwise I would have bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/CoralVue-Tech...&sr=1-8&keywords=reef+octopus+protein+skimmer

I don't have a sump tank with an overflow and using all the methods I have been using I have not had a cloudy top. I think a hang on the back Skimmer will really help you out! Also make sure to change your water every two weeks, and clean your canister filter out when you change your water. Just don't clean all the filter media out with clean water, use the dirty tank water that you suck out of the tank to clean your filters and sponges inside the canister. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom