Salt problem need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
:crazyeyes: I just did a partial water change. I had mixed the water ahead of time and waited a few hours before adding it to the tank. I see that there seems to be specks of salt that didn't desolve floating all around in the water. The salt I used wasn't new, meaning right out of the box and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

I didn't notice it until I added the water to the tank. I'm hoping the fish will be ok. I have a HOB filter and a UV sterilizer too. Is there reason to panic or will the filters take care of it?

Agreed, not to worry. Some salt mixes have impurities in them that will never dissolve as well. not ideal, but no cause for concern.

It might be just a bad batch of salt. After years of using Oceanic salt I recently got a bad jug of it where it would do the same thing. The new jug I just got is much better. I`ll just add a little from the jug that wont dissolve to great to the newer batch.

A few hours ahead of time is not enough time for your salt to fully desolve. You need to mix it for at least 24 hrs so that all the elements can be throughly mixed and brought up to the proper temp.

Last edited:
Thanks all re: my undesolved salt. Everything looks good now and my fishes are fine. I wish I had the room to let my water sit until putting it in the tank, but I don't. I have to say I haven't had a problem allowing the water to sit just a couple hours. Yes, I understand the theory of waiting 24 to 48 hrs before adding the saltwater to the tank. Thanks to all for your reply.

Based on the information about your tank you know about PWC's. With salt water it is best to let it stabilize for 24 hours. If that is not possible then allow as much time as possible for mixing and then don't add the last little bit from the bucket as most of the un-dissolved salt should be at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom