Saltwater Cleanup Crew Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 55 gal. tank, and was wondering what species I would need as a CuC. I read that there need to be about 30 different snails of different species, and wondered if this is really necessary? Thanks.

Wowza 30 different snail species!?!? That's crazy, like Mac said they're not necessary. If you like snails/hermits get them. But keeping nutrients in check works just as well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So there isn't any need for a full CuC? What would you recommend for in-tank help, if any?
Also, I'm getting this info from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums". Pleasant name, I know.

I like adding a few trochus and nassarius snails to my tanks, but as Mac and bribo said they're not necessary.

My biggest regret when starting was buying hermits, if small rocks arent secured they will flip em all around, had a frag of frogspawn and every once in a while they would push it over haha.

Okay, so there is no need for a CuC, or really any cleaner fish, it's all personal preference. Thank you very much for the assistance.

yes no clean up crew is required ,
now there are 30+ different types of snails but a good majority of them won't survive in a closed system these snails are basically useless for cleaning . there are about 4 type snails that do fairly well in a closed system and actually do some good ,
1) Cerith
2) Nerite
3) Nassarius
4) Astrea turbo
there are a few others that do good in a closed system but there cleaning ability is almost nill
if you intend on adding snails , most snails should be 1 per gallon or they will most likely starve.
I keep all types of CUC inverts but it's more for the variety of life , yes they will help some , but most of the cleaning is more from proper circulation and your live rock and water changes , your system can control some but its the majority you need to get out
In no means should any invert be held accountable for excess food build up , any excess food will be consumed to a point but like everything all critters poop.
this is when you come across high nitrates and phosphates , and sometimes ammonia
the only way to correct this is manual labor ,
I hope I worded this correctly as I have a hard time typing in a 2X3 box lol

pretty much with everyone else on this one, that they are not critical to have. I have about 10 hermit crabs in my 55Gal Salt. mostly for the purpose of eating any left over food. But they also look pretty cool. I have no snails, I only need to clean my display glass about every other week. Snails will usually smear the algae on the glass, not truly get rid of it.

I have about 3 Turbo Snails and 5 bumble bee conchs and like Maridia said, all they do is partially clean the glass, there's about 80% of the growth left over once they move on. Worst part about them is if they die and you don't catch it right away they can set off a nitrate spike.

In addition to the snails I have about 10 hermits, and they stay PRETTY busy but they are snail killers along with being clumsy, they kill the bumble bee snails for their shells. I'm sure they'd go after the Turbos too, but none of them are big enough to fit in their shells.

My 2 most beneficial CUC members are my Peppermint Shrimp. I had a real bad outbreak with Apista Anemones and these bad boys made short work of them even the very large ones (3 to 5 inches long). Easy to feed too, they just snatch up whatever Mysis and Brine that makes it through.

I would say add as needed, buy a couple at a time and make sure not to overload, keep it simple, and have fun.

Now, I am planning on adding a Diamond Watchman goby later down the line, after I have time for some pods to grow in. Would he aid in keeping algae down in my substrate or is he just good for looks?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom