Saltwater Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging by your "my tank" you are already way overstocked.

You still have all those fish in a 55?
Per your my tank:
55 gallon saltwater tank with these fish: A Juvenile Yellow tang, kole tang, regal tang, porcupine puffer, niger trigger, pair of clowns, damsel, pearlscale butterfly, and a striped blenny.

Well if I took some of the fish out could I put a juvenile in? I know I am kinda overstocked...... any more info? I really want one!

From Wetwebmedia....
The "Bad", Unknown and Just Too Dang Big Tangs, Surgeons, Doctorfishes, of the Genus Acanthurus
from the article...
"Bad Acanthurus Species:
What makes a tang species bad besides dying easily in captivity; NOT dying easily... but helping your other livestock do so. Honestly, some individuals of the fishes listed below will try to kill all their tankmates. If you are set on trying one of the designated "bad boys", do provide plenty of hiding spaces and tough, tough, tough space-sharers (triggers, basses, morays, puffers)... and even then keep your eye on them."
and...
"Acanthurus olivaceus Forster & Schneider 1801, the Orange Spot/Shoulder Tang. A hardy fish out of Hawaii and elsewhere, but unfortunately, a behavioral terror in the ranks of A. lineatus. This is an active fish that grows to more than a foot in length. Place only with MEAN tankmates."

I guess i will go ahead and be that bad guy here. After looking at your "my tanks" most of the fish you have in there really shouldn't be. everything except for the clowns, damsel, butterfly and blenny are going to need a much much larger tank to be happy and live a health life. The orange shoulder as capt has posted is mean and big and would be a very bad fit for your tank. Sorry to be the one that delivers the bad news.

IMO:

Juvenile Yellow tang : OUT
kole tang : OUT
regal tang : OUT
porcupine puffer : OUT,
niger trigger : QUESTIONABLE,
pair of clowns : OK
damsel : OK
pearlscale butterfly : OK but close
striped blenny : OK

Again, just my opinion but this species (be the juvenile or full grown) like to swim. To do that they need lateral room. A wide tank which is why the 125 is the minimum recommended (not the gallon-age so much as the fact that the tank is 6 feet long).

A Juvenile would be less restricted but restricted none the less and more so each passing day. Then what? Give it away? Or are there near future plans for a 6 foot tank?

No more so than I would get a dog that loves to run if I lived in a skyrise apartment and had no where to take the dog to run.

Minimum Tank Sizes via Liveaquaria.com :

Juvenile Yellow tang: 100g
kole tang: 70g
regal tang: 70g
porcupine puffer: 90g
niger trigger: 70g

pair of clowns: 30g
damsel: 30g
pearlscale butterfly: other sights say 55-75
striped blenny: 30g
ORANGESHOULDER TANG:125G

so really, you should get most of these fish out and replace them with a better selection of spiceses.

Even a juvenile will not be happy in a 55. Its just to small for that fish. Like people have pointed out before it can be aggressive and as a general rule if you put an aggressive fish in a small space it becomes even more aggressive. I think there would be a very good chance it would beat up your smaller fish (clowns, blenny, damsels) possibly to death. damsels could probably take it since they are aggressive themselves and the clowns are questionable but the blenny would not tolerate being bullied at all. I think even if you took out almost all your fish an orange shoulder still would not be happy. Sorry.

Please dont get an orange shoulder. I really really would love a queen angel fish ( very pretty and huge!) but I'm not going to try and keep one in my 55 gallon, not only would it be cruel, but it would bully the other fish to death. Sometimes you just have to be content with what you have ( hey how many other people can keep a saltwater fish? :) and wait until you can upgrade to a larger tank, make that your goal and save towards it. You'll save lots of money and heartache, if you do!

Again please research. Rather than 'having to take one out' to begin with. Its important you find out who goes well with what, and how big they will get. Fish get very stressed out if overcroweded and in put in with the wrong tank mates.

Mods should consider merging this with "Tang Info" thread. Same basic premise from the same poster.

Thanks Captain, I merged the threads...not sure how I missed that one.

Back
Top Bottom