Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yes water changes are done about 10% percent once a week or more. IMO means in my opinion because some just observe fish in qt and I prefer to hypo from the start to eliminate ich

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ooh IMO! I knew that!

And hypo??

Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It is a way of treating marine ick. You lower the salinity to 1.009 and the ick cannot survive . You need a refractometer to do it. Google hyposalinity and do a bunch of reading on it
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You have so many problems right now that I would start over. I believe the very first problem was you did not cycle the tank. Three weeks is not near enough to cycle a 55 gallon tank. Also you have a LFS that is not knowledgable. And to complicate things further you have ich in your tank. If it was me I would start all over.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuong View Post
I started my first 55 gallon tank about two months ago. I let the tank cycle for about 3 weeks. Checked for the salinity and tested everything else and water quality was perfect. Added about 30 lbs of live rock. Did use tap water though to start this tank and added drops of prime. Slowly added fishes in- clowns and a damsel. They got ich and died because I wasn't sure at the time what it was, so didn't have time to cure them. So I did a water change, tested everything and results were fine so decided to add in 6 snails, 2 tangs, a puffer, and 2 more clowns. About a week later they all got ich again and I tried to treat them w medicine. Didnt work and they died within a couple of days. HELP!!! I don't know what to do next. Should I start this tank all over again!? Take everything out and use ro water only?? Need a stronger filter? Protein skimmer?

=\

OK let's start from the beginning

you cycled for 3 weeks

are you sure your cycle was complete

after your cycle you added live rock

was it fully cured if not that"s your problem it started a new cycle

as for your tangs yes 55 gal is to small

like NU-NU said tangs are known to ick

another question is how are you acclimating your fish

I recommend a drip acclimation using a small pail and a small piece of air line empty your bag with fish into pail than do a drip by drip acclimation , should take about 2 hrs if done right when pail is full scoop your fish with a net and place in tank, never put any of the water from the pail or bag in your tank

another thing is not to add to many fish at once since your tanks bio load isn't at it's fullest yet

if you lost a second round of fish from ich

before adding anything in tank do 50% water changes back to back let system run a week or so do another 25% water change check water parameters to be sure there correct
and you should be good to go

ask your lfs how long he/she has been working with saltwater marine fish
don't just trust they know what there doing
always have the clerk check there water parameters salinity ect in front of you if there off they don't maintain there tanks well , always ask when did the fish come in if it was the same day have him put it on hold for you , fish don't need 2x the stress in on day , also see if it will eat before you buy it
Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lot of great advice already here for you to follow. Nunu had it right on and liveaquaria is a great place to research the needs of specific fish and what species are compatible.

I strongly recommend finding a new fish store, in this case mom and pop stores are usually better than big box stores.

A quality fish store owner will not sell you a fish that will not work in your tank. Try to find fish store reviews on line and see which ones have knowledgeable staff and healthy fish.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed

if you lost a second round of fish from ich

before adding anything in tank do 50% water changes back to back let system run a week or so do another 25% water change check water parameters to be sure there correct
and you should be good to go
it
completely wrong . If it was ick and she thinks it was running the tank empty of fish for a week will do nothing . Ick can live with out a host for 8 weeks and the longest it has survived with out a host is over 90 days .
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1 Honda

if it was in fact ich then a 6-8 week period of a fishless tank is necessary. Ich will drop off fish and form in the sand making more ich that is just waiting for a fish host to infect. The month and a half of no fish will ensure that the ich dies out as it will have no host.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though, in this case starting from scratch may be the best bet. You can do everything right this time around and I bet you will be more sucessful.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
completely wrong . If it was ick and she thinks it was running the tank empty of fish for a week will do nothing . Ick can live with out a host for 8 weeks and the longest it has survived with out a host is over 90 days .
Sorry mistyped my thought but thanks for correcting me
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What do I do w the live rock and sand? Can I keep it?

Tags
dyi, dying, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com