Saltwater fishses keep dying! Not sure why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont see why not. Wash it off in SW to get any trash off it and then start over again. This time read our article about cycling in the SW articles section. Good Luck.

the same thing happened to me.i bought a coral beauty and it had ich but it was to late,the whole tank got it.i kept buying fish and they would die.you have to be very patient with salt water.i left mine fishless for two months like everyone adviced on here.i buy a fish no sooner than a month at a time.be careful of damsels also.i had 5 different kinds of damsels and they are killers.i had one kill 4 royal grammas in one night from them getting chased which stresses them out a nd then they get diseases very easy.i have done alot of reading and took alot of advice from this site and i havent had a problem since.you cant mix friendly fish with mean fish,it will never work out

Man you guys are soo helpful!!! Dwin did you leave the water as is and let it run for two months??

i left the water in and kept the filter running.theres no need for filters,you just need circulation and keep your lights off.its hard at first but you will get tired of spending money on fish and different foods.i have one of those pet stores that dont even ask what size tank i have or what else is in the tank.they sold me a yellow tang and he lasted around 6 months but i only have a 75 gallon and like everyone says they need 100-125 gallons.its really easy if you just keep getting advice from books and live aquaria.you'll get it.good luck and be patient

Gotcha. I was wondering if it's easier to do your method or take out the entire water and start over

Just leave the water and do normal weekly water changes. The ich is all in your rocks and sand so changing all the water really isn't worth the trouble like dwint said.

dwint said:
i left the water in and kept the filter running.theres no need for filters,you just need circulation and keep your lights off.its hard at first but you will get tired of spending money on fish and different foods.i have one of those pet stores that dont even ask what size tank i have or what else is in the tank.they sold me a yellow tang and he lasted around 6 months but i only have a 75 gallon and like everyone says they need 100-125 gallons.its really easy if you just keep getting advice from books and live aquaria.you'll get it.good luck and be patient

I've had a yellow tang in a 75g for over a year. It's now in a 180. IMO, they will def do well in a 75. It didn't die due to the tank size.

Oooh! Didn't know I need to do constant water changes still when there's no fishes in there! Makes sense!

Phoung, i really think you should try freshwater before you get into saltwater. Almost everyone does because freshwater is much easier and forgiving, while saltwater is alot of hard work. It would be a shame to loose alot of money in saltwater fish

THANKS EVERYBODY!! I'm going to let the tank run fishless for two months. *siiigh wish me luck!

Wait should I wait to even add live rocks??

Add all the rocks now and then do your two month wait just incase the rock brings more ick in your tank .

Wouldn't I want to hold off then on the rocks if it brings more ich? Where does this stuff come from anyways?? Grrrr

The ick will die in the salinity no matter how many rocks you have. They low salinity will kill your live rock and sand do you will have to recycle the tank most likely. I sadly agree with nunu. If I were you I would try freshwater. Salt is really difficult in comparison. You also need to do a lot more research........ 2 tags and a puffer in a 55 isn't even close to ok. Read thousands of articles and threads on keeping tanks. Knowledge and patience are the key. A freshwater tank for a year would be good so you can get used to basic husbandry, than move to salt.

I do not think that doing freshwater first does much to prepare someone for saltwater. I think that she just needs more research and to ask on forums like this before making future purchases. Randomly buying is not wise, as the order of putting the fish in needs to be considered almost as much as what types of fish. Maybe post a list of the fish you eventually want and get feedback. She has plenty of downtime now to figure these things out. Maybe time to find a better store that can give good advice too.

^ agree, IF you stay with saltwater. I was reccomending freshwater first just to get used to basic water changes, testing, and things of the such before she really gets dedicated. If your set on salt, do alot of research, and ask as many questions as you possibly can. GL!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom