Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont see why not. Wash it off in SW to get any trash off it and then start over again. This time read our article about cycling in the SW articles section. Good Luck.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

the same thing happened to me.i bought a coral beauty and it had ich but it was to late,the whole tank got it.i kept buying fish and they would die.you have to be very patient with salt water.i left mine fishless for two months like everyone adviced on here.i buy a fish no sooner than a month at a time.be careful of damsels also.i had 5 different kinds of damsels and they are killers.i had one kill 4 royal grammas in one night from them getting chased which stresses them out a nd then they get diseases very easy.i have done alot of reading and took alot of advice from this site and i havent had a problem since.you cant mix friendly fish with mean fish,it will never work out

Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Man you guys are soo helpful!!! Dwin did you leave the water as is and let it run for two months??
Old 06-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

i left the water in and kept the filter running.theres no need for filters,you just need circulation and keep your lights off.its hard at first but you will get tired of spending money on fish and different foods.i have one of those pet stores that dont even ask what size tank i have or what else is in the tank.they sold me a yellow tang and he lasted around 6 months but i only have a 75 gallon and like everyone says they need 100-125 gallons.its really easy if you just keep getting advice from books and live aquaria.you'll get it.good luck and be patient
Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #25

Gotcha. I was wondering if it's easier to do your method or take out the entire water and start over
Old 06-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just leave the water and do normal weekly water changes. The ich is all in your rocks and sand so changing all the water really isn't worth the trouble like dwint said.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint
i left the water in and kept the filter running.theres no need for filters,you just need circulation and keep your lights off.its hard at first but you will get tired of spending money on fish and different foods.i have one of those pet stores that dont even ask what size tank i have or what else is in the tank.they sold me a yellow tang and he lasted around 6 months but i only have a 75 gallon and like everyone says they need 100-125 gallons.its really easy if you just keep getting advice from books and live aquaria.you'll get it.good luck and be patient
I've had a yellow tang in a 75g for over a year. It's now in a 180. IMO, they will def do well in a 75. It didn't die due to the tank size.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #28

Oooh! Didn't know I need to do constant water changes still when there's no fishes in there! Makes sense!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phoung, i really think you should try freshwater before you get into saltwater. Almost everyone does because freshwater is much easier and forgiving, while saltwater is alot of hard work. It would be a shame to loose alot of money in saltwater fish
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #30

THANKS EVERYBODY!! I'm going to let the tank run fishless for two months. *siiigh wish me luck!

Tags
dyi, dying, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com