Saltwater Guppies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaPonic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of creating my first saltwater tank and chose Guppies. I am acclimating them right now.

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpg
    IMG_8345.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8346.jpg
    IMG_8346.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 83
Though I'm not personally knowledgeable of this with guppies, I know it has been done with mollies pretty constantly. Good luck, it won't be a long term deal since I believe it might shorten their life expectancy.

Though I'm not personally knowledgeable of this with guppies, I know it has been done with mollies pretty constantly. Good luck, it won't be a long term deal since I believe it might shorten their life expectancy.
I am more interested in breeding them in saltwater. I have seen videos of them breeding in saltwater and thought they would be good for my first saltwater tank.

Hope it works out for you. Having a breeding population is pretty different from just running a FOWLR or reef system.
What is your plan of filtration on the system? We don't see many breeding setups come around and it might be helpful to describe the process for others who might want to follow in your path.

I am thinking a refugium with chaeto. I want a protein skimmer, but cannot find any good models. I am going to probably use a 29 gallon. I plan on adding dry rock and then cycling. I know someone with some empty saltwater aquariums that will let me store my Guppies there until the tank is ready. Thank you for the help. My biggest worry is pests eating the fry or adults.

I am thinking a refugium with chaeto. I want a protein skimmer, but cannot find any good models. I am going to probably use a 29 gallon. I plan on adding dry rock and then cycling. I know someone with some empty saltwater aquariums that will let me store my Guppies there until the tank is ready. Thank you for the help. My biggest worry is pests eating the fry or adults.

pests what type of pests are you expecting with dry base rock / sand you shouldn't have that issue.
depending on the the other stock you want in the tank they may eat the guppy's , if it fits in there mouth it's dinner
they wouldn't last 5 min in my tank all my fish would have a feast

I think it would be a good introduction to saltwater. I also decided to keep two tanks per species I keep. I think a saltwater guppy tank would be interesting. I am also a big fan of evolutionary biology and am curious long term if any changes in the population happen.

Back
Top Bottom