Saltwater lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there I was wondering if anyone can help me with a question. I am converting my 100gal tank from fresh water to salt water, I am thinking of starting with live rock n fish only to start. My question being do I need special lighting for this set up or can the regular light fixture work? If I do need a new one is led better than t5 or is it just new technology that work the same?

For fowlr you could put shop lights on the tank if you wanted to it the fish don't really care as long as your not blinding them lol. If you ask me though get your reef lights now so you don't have to make 2 purchases if your thinking about new lights now.

He's right. You can use what lights you had on the tank for a FOWLER tank but if you are going to buy new ones, and think there is a chance that you may want corals or anemones even, look into spending more upfront and get reef lighting. I'm doing this now...anything you buy for your tank, keep "reef" in mind when you do. It will save you a TON of money in the long run! Having to upgrade my protein skimmer now for example when initially I probably could of spent an extra $50-$75...

Well thank u for advice.... When I do decide to get them, because eventually I will want to go reef tank, Are the LED like the kessil better way to go than T5 or are they the same thing?

Both are reef capable but leds are cheaper to run and cooler. I have a 6 bulb t5 and switching to leds when I need a new bulb change since its about $150-$175 just for bulbs :x

$23-$32 if I bought locally which if I have to pay shipping it'll end up negating the savings anyways : /

Wow thank you, yeah guessing LED saves u alot more money in the long run...

Something you should also know is t5s have no shimmer effect :*( lol

Really oh ok then it's a definite yes for LED's... Now jus finding what I will need for my 5foot tank

Check out the kessil lights on YouTube! The more I see the more I like! I DO NOT like the price but I found a place that has 10% off. It's a sponsor in my local forum. Let me know if you are interested. It only lasts thru Labor Day!

Okay...so one of the LFS about 30 miles from me had two A150W sky blue kessil lights and he sold them to me for $200 each!! They are AWESOME!! I still may get one deep ocean blue after a few just because I like the color but for now I'm going to wait. The shimmer effect is CRAZY! I'm really impressed!!!

That's a great deal BTW!! I wish I could find a deal like that around here! Pictures!!

I searched EVERYWHERE for a good deal! This was the best I could find so I jumped on it. I've been saving for lighting as well. Did you say you had one of the ocean blue or deep ocean blue?

I have ocean blue. Was thinking of adding a sky blue to it at some point. The shimmer is great with the kessil isn't it?! Love it!! :)

If you've ever been diving it really looks like the light coming down through the water! That's crazy and cool! I was thinking of adding one deep ocean blue after a few just for the deeper blue. I think this is the happiest I've ever been with my tank and I don't even have corals yet! LOL!

Yeah, wait til you get corals and see all the colors pop under that light!! It's great!

Hey Nikki- u been busy staring at your new lights and the shimmer? Haven't seen you on here much recently. :) how's the light working out for you?

LOL! I love them! I've been busy and I've been trying to finish my new stand for my tank. =)

Back
Top Bottom