Saltwater shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have had my tank for about a year now and wanted a shark egg or a small shark
What is the best
What is the cheapest
What is the smallest
Any suggestions

Very few sharks are suitable for home aquariums. Bamboo and Epaulette probably being the best options. Both get over 2 feet long and require hundreds of gallons. Probably 300 gallon minimum. They will also need large areas of andy bottom to rest on. Certain aquarium fish such as angels will pick on them, particularly their eyes, so a species tank is best.
You'll also need a very strong filtration system to handle the waste of a predator of that size.
So, how big is your tank, how is it aquascaped, and what else is in it?

I have a 50 gall bow front tank and I have A 10 g sump my rocks are like a big wall in the back I have lots of sand room because of the different caves and holes I also have a good skimmer

Yeah... definitely too small for either shark, even short term.

Both have the capacity to grow between two and four feet.

The smallest is an epaullet shark for a couple hundred and they need a min of 180g but realisticall you need a 200 and above

Ok would an egg be better for a little bit because when it hatches they don't really swim do they?

When it hatches, you have a shark. A small one, but still a shark. And what will you do when it outgrows your tank? Sometimes people think that zoos are desperate for new exotic animals and will buy their pets, but that's almost never the case.
Sharks are cool, but unless you can provide for them properly, you should probably just leave them in the ocean.
I want one, too, but it's just not realistic.

55 gallon. It's in my signature line. I'm upgrading this year, but there's certainly no room in my apartment for anything large enough for a shark.

You'll be a lot happier with your tank, and everything in it will be much healthier, if you stick to what you can handle. Come up with a plan, get creative with the design, layout, and stocking.

Back
Top Bottom