Saltwater tank newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zacks

Aquarium Advice Regular
So anyways, I've always been into saltwater, and about a week ago I grabbed one of my 20 gallons from the garage, a couple hob filters, some rocks I stacked up in a crescent shape along the back, and it was already filled with pool filter sand... So with that said I bought a bag of instant ocean, a hydrometer, and got my salt level to brackish, 1.015 about, and let that sit a couple days. Then I got two figure eight puffers and they were in barely brackish water at the pet store, so it took six hours to fully acclimate them to the higher salt level, I've since increased it to 1.018 so I'm hoping to get that to full marine, I ordered a powerhead online, and hopefully gonna get a skimmer IF NECESSARY. If I also have to i would be willing to mix live sand in with the pool filter sand if it would work, maybe some live rock. I'm really not interested in going with corals, or anemones. So yeah FOWLR, or maybe fish only with partial live sand, but I think live rock looks cooler, so then again I could also get rock off the shelves then it would eventually become live in my tank right? And if I do end up getting a protein skimmer could I replace one of my hobs with the skimmer? And also in the future once it establishes and I hopefully put my figure eights back into a different tank, and then get a green spotted puffer, and maybe 1 or two other fish, that can survive without corals/anemones ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408414306.683618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The sand is fine, it may contain a lot if silicates which will lead to diatoms, but you don't need to add any "live" sand as your sand will become live sand over time. The rocks though aren't really what you want, we use much more porous rocks to increase the surface area for water to flow/bb to colonize. I'd look into getting some sw rocks (live, dry, or base doesn't really matter) and replace the river stones you currently have.

Ok I'm definitely gonna be replacing the river stones with different rock. I'll buy it dry, because it's cheaper and I'm hoping not to have any unwanted visitors if I were to buy live rock. I have increased the salt level to about 1.020, and tomorrow I'll bring it up a little more, this morning I arranged for my figure eights to go to a nano reef tank with a friend... I'm hoping they'll do ok once fully marine. After I get my rock, I'm gonna start looking into adding fish... Any ideas there? I'm completely lost haha. I know I'll need some sort of cleaning crew, and what about the protein skimmer? I've been told I shouldn't need one in a small FOWLR tank like this? ...(it'll start out as FO, but eventually become FOWLR) right? Thanks :)

With a 20 you'll be fine with out a skimmer, especially with a fowlr, weekly wc's will be fine for you. A clean up crew isn't necessary but if you like the look of hermits and snails then feel free to add a few, just go slow with them and remember they need food to so I'd wait until you have something for them to eat. As far as fish goes liveaquaria has a nano fish section so check there for ideas, but some of my favorites are clown gobies, shrimp gobies, tail spot blenny, Pygmy/possum wrasse, and of course clowns (ocs or percs would be my recommendation)

I'm not really out for clowns. I like the exotic, colorful, fish saltwater has to offer. So I'll look into some of the fish mentioned. If you wouldn't mind, could you make a nice, healthy stock list that would have an overall good look with some movement :) thanks :)

Ooh this is probably pushing it, but what about some type of dwarf angelfish...? Young of course, if it outgrows, I'd take it to my lfs or use an old scratched up 55, in the future

I think a cool stocking for a 20 would be a pistol shrimp/goby pair (red banded hi fin or yasha with a candy cane pistol are my favs), a clown goby or tail spot blenny, a tanakas Pygmy wrasse or one of the possum wrasses (personal favorite is the yellow banded possum) and a royal gramma. Invert wise you have lots if options, some personal favorites are skunk cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp, pom pom crab, porcelain crab.

Ooh this is probably pushing it, but what about some type of dwarf angelfish...? Young of course, if it outgrows, I'd take it to my lfs or use an old scratched up 55, in the future

With a 20 long maybe, but in a 20 tall that things gonna become a terror and really not have enough space, they're pretty active fish

That's exactly what I've heard I'll probably steer clear of them haha

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408475067.875024.jpg so there's where the hydrometer at, at what level would it be ideal for a good stocking

You'll need to replace your rocks first then cycle the tank before you can add any fish. Have a read up on the article here about how to set up and cycle a saltwater tank before you rush into buying livestock! It'll save you later I swear :) also, see if you can pick up a refractometer for measuring salinity - they are much more accurate...

I didn't mention, that my filter media was previously used and are full of dirty sponges and ceramic media from my 55 gallon freshwater tank. So I'm fairly confident that there is something in there breaking down the ammonia and nitrite, haha the tests don't lie ;)

Freshwater and saltwater bacteria for the nitrate cycle are different.
In terms of the rock, you want it to be porous so you have more area for the bacteria to grow as this is really your main filtration. That and some rocks you find in your backyard can leach stuff into your water column.

The rocks I've found in my backyard have been in other tanks for at least three years, anyways I'm gonna try the safer route and buy true live rock and wait a little while til I add fish, thanks! :)

Good call. And those rocks were in freshwater tanks, with different ph. You can look into macro or dry rock to save money if that helps.

Money really shouldn't be a huge issue... I may do the 25% live and 75% dry to start out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408583654.772997.jpg
So I bought two chunks of this live rock and was wondering what you guys thought of it, I thought It looked kind of funky at first in the store, and I feel like I'm gonna have a hard time finding rocks that would look good with it, any ideas how I could use this to aquascape with just other say round rock? Ps my lfs owner talked me into a little damsel, said it would survive the cycling process, and help it along. He also said I could bring him back if I don't want him to stay haha.

Then I also bought about 5.5 lbs of dry rock and it looks absolutely ridiculous, it's painted a bright purple and ugh it's going back to the store... 30 bucks for unnatural looking rock. It was sold off the shelf as Caribbean live rock

I also replaced the hobs with a 400 gph canister with a uv sterilizer and surface skimmer. I'm ordering a bigger one for my 55 :)

The rock in the pic is old coral skeletons, it works but I prefer more porous reef rocks like these
img_3022451_0_dd1d5ced379301aa7b05e8150022e4ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The damsel is completely unnecessary and all you'll be doing is poisoning it. Canisters can be used but but need to be cleaned thoroughly and regularly or they can trap detritus and increase your nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom