Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1 on the ATO auto top off. I use the on from tunze but there are cheaper ones out there just look it up.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #92
Fish R friends, not food!

Auto Top Off (ATO). An ATO has sensors and a external storage container with a pump to put water into the tank or sump. I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid container next to my 75 gallon w/sump. It has a controller that hangs under the stand. It has one float sensor that tells me when the storage container is empty and one that senses when the tank/sump is low. When they are low it will turn on the pump and pump water from the storage container into the sump. The ATO hardware is about $75 and the cost of the external storage container that you want to use. Oh, and the aqualifter pump to move the water was about $20. Around $100 and I only have to fill the storage container about every two weeks. This also adds water immediately when it evaporates and you don't have salinity swings, ever.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #93
Fish R friends, not food!

I have had the JBJ from bulk reef supply for about a year now and have had no issues.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
+1 on the ATO auto top off. I use the on from tunze but there are cheaper ones out there just look it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Auto Top Off (ATO). An ATO has sensors and a external storage container with a pump to put water into the tank or sump. I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid container next to my 75 gallon w/sump. It has a controller that hangs under the stand. It has one float sensor that tells me when the storage container is empty and one that senses when the tank/sump is low. When they are low it will turn on the pump and pump water from the storage container into the sump. The ATO hardware is about $75 and the cost of the external storage container that you want to use. Oh, and the aqualifter pump to move the water was about $20. Around $100 and I only have to fill the storage container about every two weeks. This also adds water immediately when it evaporates and you don't have salinity swings, ever.

I have had the JBJ from bulk reef supply for about a year now and have had no issues.
well guys that sounds really good, but i only lose about 3/4 of a gal a week and i have ro/di water there on the ready for top-off. do i really need it?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
well guys that sounds really good, but i only lose about 3/4 of a gal a week and i have ro/di water there on the ready for top-off. do i really need it?
No you certainly don't need it but they are really really nice to have
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
No you certainly don't need it but they are really really nice to have
****, im a certified technician i should be able to whip one of these up, i have a few push/pull pumps around and a few micro switches, maybe ill get to work on one for my 75g reef build in the future. ill see
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I for one could not do without mine. Most of all during the summer time.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
****, im a certified technician i should be able to whip one of these up, i have a few push/pull pumps around and a few micro switches, maybe ill get to work on one for my 75g reef build in the future. ill see
You can make them with a few float switches and a water pump. Put one float switch in the reservoir to shut the pump off when the water gets too low to avoid burning out the pump and another in the refugium to turn the pump on.

Just be sure to get some decent quality ones to avoid any potential issues
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
I for one could not do without mine. Most of all during the summer time.
let me guess, either high powered led lighting, or more than a dual t5ho, and + +50gal tank..? because i sense a trend
Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

let me guess, either high powered led lighting, or more than a dual t5ho, and + +50gal tank..? because i sense a trend
No LEDs mix with t5's 12" off the water line LEDs only ramps up to 50% max 75gal DT 30gal sump/ref. no trend here lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2806782923.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	194778

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com