Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Dry it's free shipping. You can easily get 50 lbs in that tank and it will look awesome once it purples
dang i dont want purple rock, can i get rock thats not purple..? im really avoiding that route..

Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

dang i dont want purple rock, can i get rock thats not purple..? im really avoiding that route..
Purple is coraline algae and there's really no way to stop it in marine aquariums that I know of. It's a good thing. Why don't you want it? No rock that I've ever seen is made to not grow coraline. Maybe someone else knows how to stop it.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Purple is coraline algae and there's really no way to stop it in marine aquariums that I know of. It's a good thing. Why don't you want it? No rock that I've ever seen is made to not grow coraline. Maybe someone else knows how to stop it.
no no i mean if theres no way to stop it then fine, but i just dont like the purple rock look at all, idk its just me being picky lol
Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

no no i mean if theres no way to stop it then fine, but i just dont like the purple rock look at all, idk its just me being picky lol
I think some urchins will demolish any and all coraline in a tank. They are usually pretty cheap because they are undesirable by most. I like the purple coraline. It grows using the nutrients in the water that make nuisance algae grow and therefore it reduces the nasty looking algae. When my coraline finally took off and started growing my tank looks much cleaner because less algae grows.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The coralline algae that comes on a rock doesn't usually survive the transition to a new tank. It commonly bleaches white and dies but seeds your tank with a good amount of it to start growing.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think some urchins will demolish any and all coraline in a tank. They are usually pretty cheap because they are undesirable by most. I like the purple coraline. It grows using the nutrients in the water that make nuisance algae grow and therefore it reduces the nasty looking algae. When my coraline finally took off and started growing my tank looks much cleaner because less algae grows.
hmmm you know me too well timmy lol i love me clean tank.. i think ill try it out, i just love the beige white coloring on my rocks, so my fish and coral will pop off nice lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The coralline algae that comes on a rock doesn't usually survive the transition to a new tank. It commonly bleaches white and dies but seeds your tank with a good amount of it to start growing.
i noticed some of it bleached, but the new piece i just added kept the coraline and some green colors, i like it.. to an extent but im down for whatever makes my tank and stock happy
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water conditions that are required for a reef are perfect for coraline and it will be hard to keep it from growing everywhere. You would need many many urchins to keep it away. It grows faster than they can eat it. I have 4 tuxedos, 2 long spines and a pencil in my tank and I still have a ton if coraline but I like it.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Water conditions that are required for a reef are perfect for coraline and it will be hard to keep it from growing everywhere. You would need many many urchins to keep it away. It grows faster than they can eat it. I have 4 tuxedos, 2 long spines and a pencil in my tank and I still have a ton if coraline but I like it.
well, if you cant beat it, join it lol ill embrace the coraline if i cant stop the growth, but like i said it was just an idea i had, i didnt know it was going to grow whether i wanted it to or not
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive never seen a healthy reef without it lol
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ive never seen a healthy reef without it lol
im catching your drift, so anyways nack to the topic of my tank, lol its going really well and is still very stable and healthy, ill be doing my first water change this coming weekend, and im also looking into a nano skimmer but im still hungup on which one to get

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com