Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

im catching your drift, so anyways nack to the topic of my tank, lol its going really well and is still very stable and healthy, ill be doing my first water change this coming weekend, and im also looking into a nano skimmer but im still hungup on which one to get
Everything I've read says the hydor skimmer we talked about is really good. Mark from Mr. salt water tank TV even has one on his tank. Super quiet and efficient. Plus it looks cool

Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Everything I've read says the hydor skimmer we talked about is really good. Mark from Mr. salt water tank TV even has one on his tank. Super quiet and efficient. Plus it looks cool
thats it does, and he raves about how well its made, maybe ill get it, all ive read about the aquaticlife 115 skimmer is that its loud and only lasts about 2-3 years before crapping out. and its a fair price too right around the $100 mark i wanted to stay under, BUT the only thing thats gonna bug me about it is the tank space its ging to take up.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I haven't been following the conversation about the skimmer but are you looking for a HOB or in sump skimmer?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I haven't been following the conversation about the skimmer but are you looking for a HOB or in sump skimmer?
Hob I don't have not want a sump I don't have the room for it
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot the hydor wasn't a hob. I really don't think it would take up much room but if you'd rather go with hob then I used the coralife one rated for 100 gallon from petsmart on my 55 gallon for years until I built a sump for it. They are the same price range. ~$100
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I forgot the hydor wasn't a hob. I really don't think it would take up much room but if you'd rather go with hob then I used the coralife one rated for 100 gallon from petsmart on my 55 gallon for years until I built a sump for it. They are the same price range. ~$100
No no I don't mind ad long as its an in-tank or hob
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

No no I don't mind ad long as its an in-tank or hob
The hydor can go in the tank like in a corner and the just build the rockwork around it to camouflage it some just don't cover the intake or the return side. It actually looks pretty cool. I'm about to buy one for myself since I'm looking at starting a reef tank without any fish only inverts and coral out of my old 29 gallon QT.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The hydor can go in the tank like in a corner and the just build the rockwork around it to camouflage it some just don't cover the intake or the return side. It actually looks pretty cool. I'm about to buy one for myself since I'm looking at starting a reef tank without any fish only inverts and coral out of my old 29 gallon QT.
badass tim! oh one more question, how do i restrict bubbles from coming out of it i hate the look of millions of micro bubbles in the water, is there a way? does it go away after a while..?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A good skimmer should contain its bubbles. I've never seen or heard of a hydor putting out micro bubbles. It will have to break in for a week or two but then it should do great. Just keep the cup clean and emptied. You'll have to fine tune it to pull good skim. It should look like dark tea. At least that's how I set mine.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A good skimmer should contain its bubbles. I've never seen or heard of a hydor putting out micro bubbles. It will have to break in for a week or two but then it should do great. Just keep the cup clean and emptied. You'll have to fine tune it to pull good skim. It should look like dark tea. At least that's how I set mine.
ok and how do i tune it? do i adjust for flow? raise or lower the cup? and do i want small or big bubbles? and il be keeping my hob filter for th big heavy stuff anyhow..

and off topic, is it good or bad buying "pre-owned" live sand..? lol its going to be coming out of a running tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com