Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Lol good idea! Will it look the same?
Yes and no. Depending on the type of rock you buy it will look different. Also, the rock that has been in water for a while has most likely developed a coat of algae or other organisms changing its color. It will all eventually turn a similar color though.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

At first it won't but after a few weeks it will become live and after a few months you wont be able to tell the difference.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm I don't know who to believe ha
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

ever since i.started my first saltwater tank i feel like the whole concept of "live" is more or less a scam. its just a premium and a title added to any rock once it established a.nice colony of beneficial bacteria. if thats the case, i can call the driftwood in my FW tanks live driftwood and my eco complete and flourite substrate live substrate and my cave slates live slates
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
ever since i.started my first saltwater tank i feel like the whole concept of "live" is more or less a scam. its just a premium and a title added to any rock once it established a.nice colony of beneficial bacteria. if thats the case, i can call the driftwood in my FW tanks live driftwood and my eco complete and flourite substrate live substrate and my cave slates live slates
I seen things like that a lot more that I've done a lot if research, more loose term names like the start up bacteria, is all just dead bacteria
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

I seen things like that a lot more that I've done a lot if research, more loose term names like the start up bacteria, is all just dead bacteria
which brings to my point. why bother buy "live" anything at a premium rate when if you have the patience everything will eventually be "live"
Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well in my case I bought cured live rock. It was expensive but I was impatient 3 days later I added my first fish. In the 5 months my tank has been running there's never been an ammonia reading on it.

Live rock does have a ton of neat hitch hikers on it that I'm happy to have in my tank. It's always neat finding new stuff popping up in your tank.

It's really a time vs money situation. Live rock is faster.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, i'm not sure about the lfs that you guys buy live rock from. my lfs has the rocks in two really large containers. i doubt they will have some hitch hikers on these rocks. furthermore, chances are there's probably some bristle worms or aptasia or things of that nature. i would love me some beneficial or cool looking hitch hikers, but just not something that is considered as pet.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was super impatient so I splurged on live rock, they also had 2 HUGE containers like livestock water troughs full of live rock with plenty of water circulation. Great selection too.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an update guys, the tanks looking good and I'm really comfortable that the hob is doing a really good job with the tank setup. I got my water tested just now and my lrs says it's fish ready so I'm bringing home my first additions, a pair of caramel clownfish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_212129.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	191421  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com