Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind I lowered this salinity over the course of a week and a half but pulling out a gallon of tank water and replacing it with fresh water each day until I got it low enough. I would think 2 gallons evaporated from a 37 would spike the salinity but it would do it gradually and that's wont kill the fish instantly, BUT when you throw 2 gallons of FW in and it mixes and the SG goes from say 1.031 where the evaporation left it to 1.023 ish you'll shock some sensitive fish and/or kill inverts.

Keep in mind I lowered this salinity over the course of a week and a half but pulling out a gallon of tank water and replacing it with fresh water each day until I got it low enough. I would think 2 gallons evaporated from a 37 would spike the salinity but it would do it gradually and that's wont kill the fish instantly, BUT when you throw 2 gallons of FW in and it mixes and the SG goes from say 1.031 where the evaporation left it to 1.023 ish you'll shock some sensitive fish and/or kill inverts.

whats a good in-tank meter to have? or should i have just a hand tester? and should i have a refractometer or a hydrometer?

Refractometer is more accurate. I don't know of any that go in the tank other than controller and they are $500 plus. My hydrometer was way off. So if you don't have either then you definitely want one of the two. A hydrometer is $15 but a refractometer is $40 from BRS.

As long as you keep your water topped off there won't be any random fluctuations in salinity. I've noticed that in my 30g system with about 20 - 25ish gallons of water a gallon of evap will increase the specific gravity by about .003

well if my tank is going to be losing more than a gallon a week ill be investing in a refractometer of sorts nothing high tech like one with a case lol but ill be getting my saltwater premixed from my lrs and i think its at 1.022 its a $1/gal so it saves me the headache of mixing saltwater.

Alright guys update time!

My tanks been pretty stable now and my skunk cleaner is finally getting courageous enough to come out and stay out for feedings. And he molted! Here's some pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_175728.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_175728.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20130819_175756.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_175756.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 83
I use an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity meter, but I got it for free with the tank. Not sure if I'd pay the $140 Marine Depot wants or whatever it goes for on ebay. but it is way more accurate (i.e. better resolution) than my refractometer. I run my system at a very stable 1.0252 SG. Yup, there is a 2 at the end. Try to get that out or a refractometer.

I use an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity meter, but I got it for free with the tank. Not sure if I'd pay the $140 Marine Depot wants or whatever it goes for on ebay. but it is way more accurate (i.e. better resolution) than my refractometer. I run my system at a very stable 1.0252 SG. Yup, there is a 2 at the end. Try to get that out or a refractometer.

awesome bro, im still looking into it, is there such thing as an in tank refractometer or hydrometer? or are there just water test ones?

I would do an ATO and not worry about any salinity fluctuations at all. Best thing I ever did!

And that would be a what?

Just ran a test on my water and everything is fine, nitrates are about 0-10ppm that's my only fluctuation as of now. Everything else is stable.

Auto Top Off (ATO). An ATO has sensors and a external storage container with a pump to put water into the tank or sump. I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid container next to my 75 gallon w/sump. It has a controller that hangs under the stand. It has one float sensor that tells me when the storage container is empty and one that senses when the tank/sump is low. When they are low it will turn on the pump and pump water from the storage container into the sump. The ATO hardware is about $75 and the cost of the external storage container that you want to use. Oh, and the aqualifter pump to move the water was about $20. Around $100 and I only have to fill the storage container about every two weeks. This also adds water immediately when it evaporates and you don't have salinity swings, ever.

+1 on the ATO auto top off. I use the on from tunze but there are cheaper ones out there just look it up.

Auto Top Off (ATO). An ATO has sensors and a external storage container with a pump to put water into the tank or sump. I have an 18 gallon rubbermaid container next to my 75 gallon w/sump. It has a controller that hangs under the stand. It has one float sensor that tells me when the storage container is empty and one that senses when the tank/sump is low. When they are low it will turn on the pump and pump water from the storage container into the sump. The ATO hardware is about $75 and the cost of the external storage container that you want to use. Oh, and the aqualifter pump to move the water was about $20. Around $100 and I only have to fill the storage container about every two weeks. This also adds water immediately when it evaporates and you don't have salinity swings, ever.

I have had the JBJ from bulk reef supply for about a year now and have had no issues.

well guys that sounds really good, but i only lose about 3/4 of a gal a week and i have ro/di water there on the ready for top-off. do i really need it?

well guys that sounds really good, but i only lose about 3/4 of a gal a week and i have ro/di water there on the ready for top-off. do i really need it?

No you certainly don't need it but they are really really nice to have :)

No you certainly don't need it but they are really really nice to have :)

****, im a certified technician i should be able to whip one of these up, i have a few push/pull pumps around and a few micro switches, maybe ill get to work on one for my 75g reef build in the future. ill see :cool:

****, im a certified technician i should be able to whip one of these up, i have a few push/pull pumps around and a few micro switches, maybe ill get to work on one for my 75g reef build in the future. ill see :cool:

You can make them with a few float switches and a water pump. Put one float switch in the reservoir to shut the pump off when the water gets too low to avoid burning out the pump and another in the refugium to turn the pump on.

Just be sure to get some decent quality ones to avoid any potential issues

Back
Top Bottom