Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chances are you didn't give your time time to even start cycling. Your water will look like its ready but when the cycle starts the ammonia will likely kill your Carmels unfortunately. Not to be a downer but that's the sad truth if being impatient in saltwater. Nothing happens fast and patience is the most important thing to have when dealing with saltwater.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's a good point. It would be a good idea to check your water parameters daily to keep an eye on the tank. If things get out of whack you can always try to find a LFS that sells cured live rock. That is fully cycled rock.

The good thing is that there are only 2 clowns in that size of a tank so it will take a bit to foul the water.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
That's a good point. It would be a good idea to check your water parameters daily to keep an eye on the tank. If things get out of whack you can always try to find a LFS that sells cured live rock. That is fully cycled rock.

The good thing is that there are only 2 clowns in that size of a tank so it will take a bit to foul the water.
Sorry guys I jumped the gun, ill be keeping a tight watch on my parameters for sure I love these guys too much
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Sorry guys I jumped the gun, ill be keeping a tight watch on my parameters for sure I love these guys too much
I know exactly how you feel I spent the extra money for cured live rock so I could skip the waiting period for the cycle
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

If parameters get too high I would recommend using AmQuel to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite and dosing the top fin bacteria in a bottle(or bio spira if you have the $$$) to quickly convert them to less harmful nitrate. You will have to continue doing this until you bacteria levels reach high enough levels to convert them naturally. Get an ammonia level indicator for your tank for a quick reference on the levels. They have them at petsmart usually and they just suction inside your tank. They change colors if your ammonia levels rise. Nothing beats a test kit though.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

If parameters get too high I would recommend using AmQuel to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite and dosing the top fin bacteria in a bottle(or bio spira if you have the $$$) to quickly convert them to less harmful nitrate. You will have to continue doing this until you bacteria levels reach high enough levels to convert them naturally. Get an ammonia level indicator for your tank for a quick reference on the levels. They have them at petsmart usually and they just suction inside your tank. They change colors if your ammonia levels rise. Nothing beats a test kit though.
I'm definitely going to look into this tomorrow I have test kits but they're low range ph freshwater kits
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get the API saltwater master test kit. It's pretty cheap and has ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate with a high range saltwater ph kit. I know everyone says API isn't accurate to the T but I've used them on my tank for the last several years and never had an issue.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Get the API saltwater master test kit. It's pretty cheap and has ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate with a high range saltwater ph kit. I know everyone says API isn't accurate to the T but I've used them on my tank for the last several years and never had an issue.
That's what I'm using now on my fw tanks, the api kit, I like em they work good, ill have to go pick up a kit today.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

alright guys, i plan in the future to add a few corals, what are some good starter corals to go with, i like the zoas and mushrooms, and the ones that will move with wavemakers.. just a hint of what i want, if your have pics post em up please!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Other than Mushrooms and Zoas there are two that cross my mind that make great beginner corals. They are both difficult to kill but a lot of people don't like them due to how fast they grow.

The first is Pulsing Xenia. The polyps regularly open and close in the water adding some nice movement to the tank.

The second is a Kenya Tree which in my experience grows even faster than the pulsing xenia. It flows very well in the water current. These two pictures are the same coral a month and a half apart so you can see how fast they grow.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com