Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Other than Mushrooms and Zoas there are two that cross my mind that make great beginner corals. They are both difficult to kill but a lot of people don't like them due to how fast they grow.

The first is Pulsing Xenia. The polyps regularly open and close in the water adding some nice movement to the tank.




The second is a Kenya Tree which in my experience grows even faster than the pulsing xenia. It flows very well in the water current. These two pictures are the same coral a month and a half apart so you can see how fast they grow.



those look cool, any other color variations?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
those look cool, any other color variations?
There's a few different variations on the pulsing xenia. I'm not sure about the kenya tree though.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

There's a few different variations on the pulsing xenia. I'm not sure about the kenya tree though.
Xenia made a mess of my tank. It will sprout up all over the place but for the longest time Xenia and zoas were all I had in my. 55 reef, wound up selling it all for $8 a frag and made a boat load of cash lol Xenia is awesome it just doesn't ship well normally so find someone local that has it and can frag it. I'd send you some out of my tank for free but the shipping cost wouldn't be worth it lol mine seems like it grows two fold everytime I frag it. My hammer coral and torch coral keeps it under control for the most part haha.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Xenia made a mess of my tank. It will sprout up all over the place but for the longest time Xenia and zoas were all I had in my. 55 reef, wound up selling it all for $8 a frag and made a boat load of cash lol Xenia is awesome it just doesn't ship well normally so find someone local that has it and can frag it. I'd send you some out of my tank for free but the shipping cost wouldn't be worth it lol mine seems like it grows two fold everytime I frag it. My hammer coral and torch coral keeps it under control for the most part haha.
pics or it never happened lol, no but really i nee some pics guys, i wanna get an idea of how im going to arrange my tank i dont want to move it around alot i want to set it for the long run so i dont stress out my fish rearranging constantly

i just did some quick research and i like hammers and finger leathers the most, then zoas and toadstools, good combo? and should i place them all on the live rock or can i put them in the sand bed?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Good choices

Hammers will do best in the substrate and away from other corals since they are aggressive. Zoanthids will do best when glued to rocks. I've tried my finger leather in both the substrate and on rocks and I am liking it on the substrate more (It also seems happier in the substrate).
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Good choices

Hammers will do best in the substrate and away from other corals since they are aggressive. Zoanthids will do best when glued to rocks. I've tried my finger leather in both the substrate and on rocks and I am liking it on the substrate more (It also seems happier in the substrate).
so what about lighting? my tank is 18" deep and im runninga dual t5 ho fixture with a 10,000k white and blue actinic bulb, would i need to place them closer to the light? i.e. higher up?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
so what about lighting? my tank is 18" deep and im runninga dual t5 ho fixture with a 10,000k white and blue actinic bulb, would i need to place them closer to the light? i.e. higher up?
The kenya tree should be okay on the bottom but I would keep the xenia a little higher. If you get a finger leather it will definitely have to be put a little higher in the tank. Not sure about a hammer coral, I just delved into trying out LPS and am having a hard time with them so haven't bought a hammer yet.

I ran dual t5ho on my 20g for quite a while.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

The kenya tree should be okay on the bottom but I would keep the xenia a little higher. If you get a finger leather it will definitely have to be put a little higher in the tank. Not sure about a hammer coral, I just delved into trying out LPS and am having a hard time with them so haven't bought a hammer yet.

I ran dual t5ho on my 20g for quite a while.
So I should be ok with this lighting then. That's good to know.
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
I have 450 watts of MH and 400 watts of actinic and anywhere below half tank my hammers aren't happy. I'd say your lights aren't strong enough for hammers in my opinion.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I have 450 watts of MH and 400 watts of actinic and anywhere below half tank my hammers aren't happy. I'd say your lights aren't strong enough for hammers in my opinion.
****, maybe I need to rethink my lighting then.
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.