Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looks great man!! Can't wait to see coral in there!

Old 08-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be careful if that ammonia spikes with that shrimp! He'll most likely die way quicker than the clowns. I'd be doing water changes frequently and don't add anything else for a while test every day as well. You tank is not cycled yet so there's a chance anything you add won't make it through the cycle. Good luck though.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post
Looks great man!! Can't wait to see coral in there!
thanks alot bud, i cant wait either but i will for at least 6 months, let my tank mature then BAM im gonna go nuts lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
Be careful if that ammonia spikes with that shrimp! He'll most likely die way quicker than the clowns. I'd be doing water changes frequently and don't add anything else for a while test every day as well. You tank is not cycled yet so there's a chance anything you add won't make it through the cycle. Good luck though.
thanks faye, ive been monitoring my tanks parameters daily at 7o'clock after the lights been on for 1hr every evening and my nitrates are hovering around 0-5ppm
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you're monitoring and doing water changes if needed you could be ok. In my first tank I cycled with cured live rock and a scooter blenny. That's how clueless I was. Over a year later my blenny has doubled in size and he's been through two 3-4 day power outages (hurricane sandy and the large snowstorm the week after). Anything is possible! I'm more worried about your shrimp though. But again mine went through the same two outages and he's still kickin!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
As long as you're monitoring and doing water changes if needed you could be ok. In my first tank I cycled with cured live rock and a scooter blenny. That's how clueless I was. Over a year later my blenny has doubled in size and he's been through two 3-4 day power outages (hurricane sandy and the large snowstorm the week after). Anything is possible! I'm more worried about your shrimp though. But again mine went through the same two outages and he's still kickin!
im getting some evaporation so ill be doing a water change soon, maybe saturday, im not sure ill keep an eye on my parameters though. i really want him to live, ive done worse and it turned out ok so i have high hopes for these guys, that reminds me thuogh i have to get my saltwater prep stuff ready i have an emergency kit for my freshwater tanks but i need a sw one, thanks again!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure you're topping off with fresh though. A large swing in salinity will def kill that shrimp. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

well aparently i was 1-1/2 gallons low and im trying to monitor what my evaporation is per week, im going to be leaving the light on from 5:30pm-11:30pm daily, im running a dual t5ho fixture and its keeping my water at about 79* and all my stock looks really happy and healthy.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would top off more often than once a week. I top off manually everyday.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I would top off more often than once a week. I top off manually everyday.
hey tim how much will the salinity flux with 1-2 gallon loss?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

hey tim how much will the salinity flux with 1-2 gallon loss?
Tough to say really. It's something you just have to test. Once you get the 40-50 lbs of live rock you'll need in your tank. You're likely only housing 25-28 gallons of water so losing 1-2 gallons then would be a big deal. Might not kill anything but just causes unnecessary stress on your fish and inverts. But it this way when I got a refractometer it showed 1.031 where my hydrometer was giving me 1.025. I added about 8-9 gallons of fresh water and it pulled it down to 1.026 in a 210 gallon tank. So imagine the drastic changes it would make in your tank. I've never had a tank smaller than 55 so I honestly wouldn't be able to give you a scientific answer.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com