Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep in mind I lowered this salinity over the course of a week and a half but pulling out a gallon of tank water and replacing it with fresh water each day until I got it low enough. I would think 2 gallons evaporated from a 37 would spike the salinity but it would do it gradually and that's wont kill the fish instantly, BUT when you throw 2 gallons of FW in and it mixes and the SG goes from say 1.031 where the evaporation left it to 1.023 ish you'll shock some sensitive fish and/or kill inverts.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Keep in mind I lowered this salinity over the course of a week and a half but pulling out a gallon of tank water and replacing it with fresh water each day until I got it low enough. I would think 2 gallons evaporated from a 37 would spike the salinity but it would do it gradually and that's wont kill the fish instantly, BUT when you throw 2 gallons of FW in and it mixes and the SG goes from say 1.031 where the evaporation left it to 1.023 ish you'll shock some sensitive fish and/or kill inverts.
whats a good in-tank meter to have? or should i have just a hand tester? and should i have a refractometer or a hydrometer?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Refractometer is more accurate. I don't know of any that go in the tank other than controller and they are $500 plus. My hydrometer was way off. So if you don't have either then you definitely want one of the two. A hydrometer is $15 but a refractometer is $40 from BRS.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As long as you keep your water topped off there won't be any random fluctuations in salinity. I've noticed that in my 30g system with about 20 - 25ish gallons of water a gallon of evap will increase the specific gravity by about .003
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

well if my tank is going to be losing more than a gallon a week ill be investing in a refractometer of sorts nothing high tech like one with a case lol but ill be getting my saltwater premixed from my lrs and i think its at 1.022 its a $1/gal so it saves me the headache of mixing saltwater.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright guys update time!

My tanks been pretty stable now and my skunk cleaner is finally getting courageous enough to come out and stay out for feedings. And he molted! Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130819_175728.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	193295   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130819_175756.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	193296  

Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity meter, but I got it for free with the tank. Not sure if I'd pay the $140 Marine Depot wants or whatever it goes for on ebay. but it is way more accurate (i.e. better resolution) than my refractometer. I run my system at a very stable 1.0252 SG. Yup, there is a 2 at the end. Try to get that out or a refractometer.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I use an American Marine Pinpoint Salinity meter, but I got it for free with the tank. Not sure if I'd pay the $140 Marine Depot wants or whatever it goes for on ebay. but it is way more accurate (i.e. better resolution) than my refractometer. I run my system at a very stable 1.0252 SG. Yup, there is a 2 at the end. Try to get that out or a refractometer.
awesome bro, im still looking into it, is there such thing as an in tank refractometer or hydrometer? or are there just water test ones?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #89
Fish R friends, not food!

I would do an ATO and not worry about any salinity fluctuations at all. Best thing I ever did!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I would do an ATO and not worry about any salinity fluctuations at all. Best thing I ever did!
And that would be a what?

Just ran a test on my water and everything is fine, nitrates are about 0-10ppm that's my only fluctuation as of now. Everything else is stable.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com