Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbie32590

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well i'm new to saltwater aquariums,and this forum, I just picked up a 20 gallon long aquarium, hood, light, filter, and heater for $30 off craigs list :D.I plan on starting a FOWLR set up. I was wondering instead of forking out $50 dollars for sand, seeing how I conveniently live within walking distance to a beach can I just put that sand in my aquarium?? Apart from it not being as white and pretty looking would it give me the same benifits? I'll probably end up buying live sand from the internet, but I was just curious if this has been done before/could be done.

Welcome to AA!
I would not use sand right off the beach, but if you can go out 100 yards or more that sand should be fine....as long as it is legal in your area.

If you take sand off the beach, just boil the crap out of it several times and it should be alright. You can also go to the store and get a large bag of regular playsand. It's not as pretty but it is still alright, the only downside is you will see a large diatom bloom initially on it.

IMO, save for a bit and get the aragonite. A couple weeks/months/years down the road, you'll wish you did and its a pain to swap out. I wouldn't buy live sand, chances are by the time you get it, most of the stuff will be dead in there anyway, and its a big bag of nitrates.

I too would worry about pollution in the sand. Better just to buy it. I dont know why 50.00? Just get dry aragonit sand.

I paid 25.99 per 20 lb bag for super naturals white sand. And I'm glad I did. Then again I know nothing about saltwater, I have only used sand in freshwater. I know 50 dollars is high but it's worth it! It's amazing stuff. The super naturals is either white or black I prefer white as it looks more natural and professional in my tank. They also have carib sea salt water sand which Is live but I don't know much about live sand!
I too would worry about pollution in the sand. Better just to buy it. I dont know why 50.00? Just get dry aragonit sand.

Yeah that would be terrible, looks like i'm gust gonna have to drop by a local aquarium store around town and see what they have to offer.

I'd definitely go with the dry aragonite sand. That way you know for sure what your getting and in this hobby, it's always best to go with what is the sure way unless you have alot of money, time, or both lol.

Back
Top Bottom