Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sand??

Hello all

Since I live Florida and I am fixing to set up my 250g soon I need to know if it is possible to get sand from one of the beaches and cycle it before adding fish? If I cant use it as a live sand because of polutants (Ideally I would goto Keys and go out 2 miles on a boat and get sand but....) can I use it if I sift it then fresh water (or bleached water) soak it and dry it will it be safe for substrate??

It would be nice to fill the tank with sand vs. the crushed coral that came with it.....

And the kids love goin to the beach so I have a good excuse to do it if possible!

Thanks for any help..

P.S. If you live here in Florida and know of any good places to get it let me know...by the way I am in central Florida....I am close to Daytona, Melbourne, Sebastian inlet or Coaco beaches....

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Definitely don't use sand from the beach. Not sure about the stuff out in the water.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, if u cant get sand from beach?
where can u get it ?
i dont see the pet store carry sand...lol
or......use the sand for construction?
good?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow1234
where can u get it ?
good?
Where do you live? Most all pets stores I've ever been to carry sand.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 AM   #5

If your up for a drive try the leesburg pet center in leesburg, its right by the office depot on highway 27 just south of where highway 441 splits off to go to orlando. You can call an ask them ahead of time to see what they have in stock and if they dont have enough they will always order you a couple cases. Ask for Gene or Danny! HTH
Old 06-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow1234
where can u get it ?
good?
Where do you live? Most all pets stores I've ever been to carry sand.
oh... maybe i didnt notice that
Old 06-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Here you go!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2004+113554

From my experience, I would stick with sand and not CC (crushed coral), others like it, but I didn't. I wouldn't waste my money on LS (live sand), I would just go with the carib sea sand. I find it hard to believe the LS is really live, since it has been sitting on the shelf, with no aireation or movement. Just my experience.

OR....if you can find aragonite sand, NOT silica based sand (which I believe is what most construction companies use), you should be good.
A good test is, take some vinegar with you and pour it on the sand. If it FIZZLES/FOAMS, is it aragonite sand.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Here you go!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2004+113554

From my experience, I would stick with sand and not CC (crushed coral), others like it, but I didn't. I wouldn't waste my money on LS (live sand), I would just go with the carib sea sand. I find it hard to believe the LS is really live, since it has been sitting on the shelf, with no aireation or movement. Just my experience.

OR....if you can find aragonite sand, NOT silica based sand (which I believe is what most construction companies use), you should be good.
A good test is, take some vinegar with you and pour it on the sand. If it FIZZLES/FOAMS, is it aragonite sand.
wow......impressive, didnt know that b4
Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ummm I ask because I can be at the beach in like 40 minutes or so.... There are places like Sebastian Inlet where while filled with people and also smaller boats the water's current is fast so I would think the sand would be safe..many years ago I got some rock from there and it flourished well. (Can also goto the beach side which seems to always have strong currents.)

or can make a 2 day trip down south to Ft. Lauderdale or possibly even the Keys one day...

I figure the sand will still be alive (1 hour or so in a bucket shouldnt kill to much!) and the tank will have nothing in it to worry about...my only thought is does sand from this close to land have to much pollution to hurt a tank? I don't see why though as mother nature seems to maintain her water qaulities jus fine....
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
my only thought is does sand from this close to land have to much pollution to hurt a tank? I don't see why though as mother nature seems to maintain her water qaulities jus fine....
Keep in mind that there is a slight water volume difference between the ocean and your tank. A principal philosophy in SW tanks is that "bigger is better". This is true because larger tanks resist change in water parameters, are more stable and can "absorb" slight changes in parameters better due to more volume. Slightly polluted water in the ocean has little effect just due to the vast amount of water. Take this same slightly polluted water and put it in your tank and it would spell disaster. Play it safe and follow the advice given here...skip the beach sand.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com