Sand bed depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeO88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard the 'latest craze' is deeper sand beds (3-4'') from an ebay add obviously selling live sand. They claim it makes the tank more maintainence free. Does this have any truth to it? Thanks a lot!

-Mike

I`ve heard that, but mine is only about 1-2 inches which I think is good also. I just dont like the DSB look. To each his own.

I agree with melosu58. It is a personal preference. Mine is about 3 inches, in most spots.

I just put in a DSB of 3 to 4 "....I didn't think I'd like it, but it does look alright. I did it cos I was advised to, not sure if its necessary but I dont think it detracts from the look of the tank.

sand substate, in general, is easier to maintain then CC. It is easily sifted by critters and does not collect detritus that lead to NO3. Technically, a true DSB is 5-6 inches. The theory is to provide an anaerobic environment for denitrifying bacterial to colonize, hence the depth. The problem is that pockets of toxic gas can also collect in the sand bed and, when released, can foul the tank. 2-3 inches is just fine when combined with the right amount of LR.

I`ll be putting Jawfish once tank is running---a deeper bed is better for them, right?

Back
Top Bottom