sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmlorfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been searching for substrate options. Ive seen the DE (pool sand), and play sand options and am wondering what are the potential drawbacks to buying Black sand to use as substrate. Are all black sands equal? Is there one brand forum approved? Do they add chemicals to sand to make it black and will that leach into the water? I think the look of black sand would be appealing and hope to tap into the vast experience(s) of this forum to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

The major downside to black sand is that it shows every piece of debris or gunk that gets on it very visibly, so it never looks "clean".

Most of us in a SW tank just use dry aragonite sand.

Hmmm, kinda like keeping a black car clean.....not gonna happen. interesting, so earth tone is the most concealing it would seem and most economical. Thanks for the input.

I think all white is just as bad. Any solid colored substrate will show anything on it.

I absolutely love black sand. A dark substrate and background has been shown to actually increase the actual amount of pigmentation in the fish, not just how colorful they look but physiologically more colorful. Obviously it shows the colors off even better too. I have black sand in my reef and love it. I don't see myself every doing an all white reef. I use Estes' Ultra Reef (not actually calcium based). They also have white so you could do a black and white mix. Here is a picture of my tank:
img_1284852_0_f3340203c51ab57215494086b1cc9eb9.jpg

Your tank looks great fishguy.. I had playsand in my first marine tank and didnt like the brown look. Im going with the caribsea 'sugar fine' white sand this time.. Maybe my next tank i will use the black, it looks good too..

Shane.

That tank is amazing. I think i'm sold on that look. not to mention the benefit to the fish (color). Any suggestions on a particular type or brand of black sand?

Uhh, forgive the previous post, I re-read your post and see the name of the sand you used. Having a brain fail moment. It happens as one gets older :sorry:. thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom