Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Ronald Marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 122
Hi again, my milky white water has lessened a bit but still pretty much white after 36 hours... Im having some flow issues (see my other thread) and not quite sure if this is the reason. I used aragonite sand( cant remember the grain but it appears fine) about 100lbs of it. Any tips? Should i cycle the water? Thanks in advance

Ps. I will take pictures of the water tonight when i get home from work. Hopefully to paint a better picture.

Attached the pics... This is after 48hrs... I will cycle my water tomorrow. How many gallons should i take out? More than 20%? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1297762793.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	151792   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-963430433.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	151793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4153522775.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	151794  
__________________

__________________
Ronald Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
forzaazzurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 126
It took my tank a good week before it got clear with new live sand (did not rinse). You need to cycle the tank so there is no hurry. It will clear. I did have a mechanical power filter though.
__________________

__________________
forzaazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Ronald Marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaazzurri View Post
It took my tank a good week before it got clear with new live sand (did not rinse). You need to cycle the tank so there is no hurry. It will clear. I did have a mechanical power filter though.
That's great news man! I was reading the forums and most of what i found was around 24-48 hours (rinsed), I did not rinse mine. I cycled 10% of water today. I will do another 10% over the weekend. Should i cleanse my sponges? It's a new system but i imagine a lot of it is trapped in there? I was not completely informed. Thanks again!
__________________
Ronald Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
forzaazzurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 126
Yeah I would clean any sponges or mechanical filtration as often as you can.
In my opinion why rinse live sand when you want all that good stuff in it.
__________________
forzaazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Ronald Marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaazzurri View Post
Yeah I would clean any sponges or mechanical filtration as often as you can.
In my opinion why rinse live sand when you want all that good stuff in it.
This is true... Great thing about this hobby i come to find is that there plenty of DO and DONT. Some prefer to rinse and some don't. Thanks again for your reply. This is so much fun, i have always loved water, reefs, the ocean.
__________________
Ronald Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
Wy Renegade's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post
That's great news man! I was reading the forums and most of what i found was around 24-48 hours (rinsed), I did not rinse mine. I cycled 10% of water today. I will do another 10% over the weekend. Should i cleanse my sponges? It's a new system but i imagine a lot of it is trapped in there? I was not completely informed. Thanks again!
Just an FYI, you are miss using the term cycling. What you are doing is a PWC or partial water change. Cycling is a term used to describe the build-up of the beneficial bacteria population in your tank.

What you are experiencing is the suspention of very fine sand grains in your water column due to not rinsing the sand. These sand grains will settle out, how long it takes is dependent of lots of factors like flow rate and filters. If you are running your filters in the current state, which it sounds like you are, you are going to need to rinse the filters clean. Since you have hopefully started cycling the tank (adding in a ammonia source of some type - pure ammonia or decaying shrimp, etc.) while you are running filters and waiting for the sand to settle out, you'll want to rinse the filters with saltwater, not freshwater, so you are not eliminating your beneficial bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post
This is true... Great thing about this hobby i come to find is that there plenty of DO and DONT. Some prefer to rinse and some don't. Thanks again for your reply. This is so much fun, i have always loved water, reefs, the ocean.
Indeed, you will learn as you get further in to the hobby, that there a many different ways to do things "right", and that everyone has their own opinion about what is best and what works or doesn't work for them. Remember it is your adventure and you have to figure out what works for you.
__________________
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Ronald Marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post

Just an FYI, you are miss using the term cycling. What you are doing is a PWC or partial water change. Cycling is a term used to describe the build-up of the beneficial bacteria population in your tank.

What you are experiencing is the suspention of very fine sand grains in your water column due to not rinsing the sand. These sand grains will settle out, how long it takes is dependent of lots of factors like flow rate and filters. If you are running your filters in the current state, which it sounds like you are, you are going to need to rinse the filters clean. Since you have hopefully started cycling the tank (adding in a ammonia source of some type - pure ammonia or decaying shrimp, etc.) while you are running filters and waiting for the sand to settle out, you'll want to rinse the filters with saltwater, not freshwater, so you are not eliminating your beneficial bacteria.

Indeed, you will learn as you get further in to the hobby, that there a many different ways to do things "right", and that everyone has their own opinion about what is best and what works or doesn't work for them. Remember it is your adventure and you have to figure out what works for you.
Thanks a million! I was using the term incorrectly. I am doing partial water changes and my cycling did start Sunday night. I will rinse my filters with RODI salt water. I will also add pure ammonia starting tomorrow night. I did not have time to make it to the local pet store today. Btw thanks for the advice and encouraging words. It has grown on me faster than algae! 😜
__________________

__________________
Ronald Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.