Sand sifters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of SMALL fishie can I get for sand sifting? I want yellow headed jaw fish, but cant find one around here :cry: here we have watchman goby, yellow clown goby, and a few others that frequent, but if I can see if the LFS will order a good sand sifter, what should I get?

Nassarius snails will do IMO. The yellow clown won't be near the sand at all. Yellow watchman doesn't sift either. I'm thinking the jawfish might move enuf for for his hideout, but that's it. Never had one though. Two spot gobies will sift, but I never had luck w/keeping them for over a few months. I can't think of another SMALL fishie that sifts. Not saying there aren't any, I just don't now of'm. Others I know of are larger gobies, but they'll move too much sand in that sized tank IMO.

Check out those snails.

look into the jumbo tonga nassarius. i have found the little ones just dont move enough. i had three in my 29g. they did a great job

austins dad, i am looking into a goby for my 75g. i wouldnt mind something that moves around the sand. which one are known to sift? which ones should i stay away from.

steve r

I got a small horshoe crab two weeks ago and he sifts through the sand 24/7. You can see paths in the sand where he has been and can track him down following his trail. He does stay at or below the sand so you don't see him all the time, but he does awesome turning the sand over. Much better than my nassarius snails do.

Mel, he is definitely a cool looking goby. Are they semi-agressiv or peaceful?

Mine is peaceful. When I first got him he was silver like the link I sent but as he got older he turned darker. here he is

img_723103_0_5b2ea1d8cc7ae7194073f7bee92f71fb.jpg

I also have a pink spotted Goby. He`s not much on sifting but he does do it.

img_723103_1_cf02e7b6724492f14d654b6cddbd579a.jpg

austinsdad said:
I'm getting two of those bullets gobies. I like them - 'specially since they'll work for food.
Me too! Thanks for a great suggestion mel!

One question though...

Does that bullet goby leave mounds/big piles of sand? I've seen some (larger variety in the 5" range like this one) sifters just pick up sand and put it in a pile. Those, I'm not crazy about. Looking for a sifter not interested in making new landscapes. Does this one?

Sorry Ray, mine does leave mounds but nothing over 2 inches tall. This goby will turn your sand over in a day or two so as you can imagine there will be some rework. But I dont think it`s that bad.

Back
Top Bottom