Sand stiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
About every 5 to 7 days I will start to get a brown tint and a couple if red spots I have 3,400 gph flow from my power heads and my sump return on top of that. It is a 90 gallon tank and I have my lights on a timer from 2pm til midnight. Before I do my weekly PWC I take a scrubber and mix the sand just enough to kick the color up and out of the sand. Is this okay? Or is there a better way I could go about taking care of this.

Unfortunately I have to until I can afford an RO unit and I'm thinking I may need a chiller before that so I don't have to break my bank trying to run my air conditioner into the ground keeping the tank cool in the heat of Atlanta summer.

sounds like diatoms and they feed off the silicate in the sand bed if it is they will go away.hope this helps

Thanks, but should I leave them alone? Or continue to stir them before my water changes?

Yea I got a crew of zebra turbo snails and a few of them were large ones an they cleaned through that stuff in a few days

I had a crew or hermits and snails but my banana wrasse decided he didn't like them in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom