Sand turning red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this? It cant be good.. So i did my regular pwc and vaccuumed the sand and it looks better but what was it? Lol

Attachments

• image-2525485123.jpg
    image-2525485123.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 178
Diatoms... Quit feeding so much. Also your CUC should take care of this.

Looks like cyano to me, it's more purple than rust colored. When you suck it up does it come up in sheets, or is it dusty?

If it's sheets, it's cyano.

i have the same thing going on in my 75g FOWLR, i thought it was from having my lights on too long so i cut back to 8 hrs! didnt work, what causes it and what can be done to get rid of it?

Thinking of getting nariussis snails (sp?) but i only feed once a day

Looks like diatoms and cyano. Cut back on nutrients in the tank, add more flow if it's stagnant there, and perhaps shorten your lighting schedule.

Well it progressed and its red algae.. For right now im going to use chem clean and im also going to be reducing light, do a pwc and buy a better CUC

Blakskall said:
Well it progressed and its red algae.. For right now im going to use chem clean and im also going to be reducing light, do a pwc and buy a better CUC

Go to reefcleaners.org, they can actually get u a cuc for that issue.

Yes do your PWC & syphon it out, cut your feeds down to two or three times a week, although improving flow will not solve your water nutrient issues it will make it more aesthetically pleasing and good flow makes for a healthy tank. Reduce light for a few days if you want but again - not solving the problem, just not making it visible in your tank. Once a day feeding in not necessary, mine get M,W&F feeds. They are all fat and happy and very healthy!

Will chem clean work well? I kno i need to fix the nitrates n phosphate first but has anyone had success with this product?

I had an overwhelming amount of red algae, I mean obscene amounts in my biocube. I did one dose and it was gone the next day. i did a water change to be on the safe side and haven't had one single re occurence show up. Nad I mean I had alot, it was hanging off rocks and peeling off the back wall. I also know why though. I overfeed like a crazy woman due to weaning my scooter and mandarin onto prepared foods and my flow was a little lacking.

It's always good to fix an issue causing the algae rather than just dosing the tank. But I had great success with using it. :)

I ordered it today im going to do a pwc before i use it and then dose it, im cutting down feeding to every other day for now on

So i got the chemi clean i put it in, it says you must do a 20% water change after 48 hours, but do i have to wait this long? I was hoping to do a pwc today..

Did all the algae die off? How about your nitrate readings? If all the algae is gone and the nitrates are elevated I would do the pwc when you want to. :)

Well heres the thing, there hasnt been any physical red algae for awhile, one night it was just gone.. Idk if it was the combination of reducing feedings and lighting, but it wasnt there anymore.. Just the red sand remains right now, so i put the chemi clean in anyway

Back
Top Bottom