sandbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomicbiscut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
if i take my fish out and dont care about going thru another cycling period can i switch out all teh CC with sand at once? or are there other side affects a noob like myself would never think of.

Alot of people do about 1/4-1/3 of the switch and get the next load in about a week. I would suggest that instead of the whole substrate at one time. I know Roka64 did it like that with his tank. Maybe he`ll be on here in a while. I hope all goes well.

If taking the fish out and planning another cycle then I'd do it all at once.

I was the one that recommend Scott do 1/4 per week because he was keeping his fish in the tank at the time and the full replacement would have put too much of a strain on his bacterial colony and I was worried about nh3 spikes.

Yup, that was me and thanks for the advice tec. I did do 1/4 per week, I had fish and inverts in the tank. I like to be on the safe side, that's why I did 1/4 a week. I also had spare, premixed water just in case. I didn't have any fatalities, only a few nipped fins.

+++EDIT+++
I think I still have your PMs, for doing it.

I changed all mine at once with no problems. Just do it as fast as you can, and have plenty of mixed up SW to add into it.

Back
Top Bottom