Sandstone for live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussSerio

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow. I am finding such a diversity of information out there in cyberspace. I've seen so many differing opinions by so many so called experts that it boggles the mind.
First of all, there are sooooo many different kinds of sandstone, some occurring naturally on the ocean floor.
Then there is a LOT of controversy over how to cure it.
And then there is a lot of controversy over the effects of having it as long term live rock and fish health.
Is it pirates day? AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

So.......Here goes. I have some landscape type sandstone. It is brown, hard, yet porous. Plenty of pits and small cave structures within each piece. I have cleaned it and started the process. I figure that I have nothing but time and a few bucks invested. So I am going to start my own experiment and post my findings on this thread.

Wish me luck?????

I would not use limestone in a tank. As it degrades, it will effect the water column. I'd assume it would be raising the pH of the tank, if I remember correctly.

I would not use limestone in a tank. As it degrades, it will effect the water column. I'd assume it would be raising the pH of the tank, if I remember correctly.

The op said sandstone, not limestone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And yet he is correct. As I stated there are many types of sandstone. I found a list of about 40. Not exactly sure what kind mine is but a chem test preformed by a friend showed that the lime in this batch is very low. And though it is very hard it had a lot of holes and pits. Will try to get a few pix.

And thanks, I will welcome all input along the way.

Back
Top Bottom