Saving money on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gal with only about 25lbs of LR. I want much more but its so expensive! Any suggestions? Should i add dry rock that will become live someday? Whats the cheapest route to go on this?

Last edited:
Finish off with dry rock you've got plenty of live rock now. Just keep in mind the weight of dry rock is lighter then live so it'll turn out to be more per pound in sense

Any ideas where to get cheap dry rock? Websites, stores, etc?

Most local shops that carry SW goods will sell it around $1.50-$3.00 a lb if not try bulkreefsupply

reefcleaners.org
reefrocks.net

From firsthand experience, both sell great quality rock.

Can also check out Craigslist if you do want live... I got mine for less than $3 a pound from a well established tank, the dude was just getting out of the hobby. Plus he threw in a buncha other stuff :cool: For $125 I got 45 lbs of live rock, a goby, sea urchin, snails, hermits, a heater, extra sand, food, a book on reef keeping, buckets... Just a suggestion :cool:

Benamayer said:
Can also check out Craigslist if you do want live... I got mine for less than $3 a pound from a well established tank, the dude was just getting out of the hobby. Plus he threw in a buncha other stuff :cool: For $125 I got 45 lbs of live rock, a goby, sea urchin, snails, hermits, a heater, extra sand, food, a book on reef keeping, buckets... Just a suggestion :cool:

+1 for CL make it your best friend if you wanna save some serious money in the SW hobby :)

Mrc8858 said:
+1 for CL make it your best friend if you wanna save some serious money in the SW hobby :)

Never buy live rock off craigslist dont make that mistake
. Theres usally reason people get out of the hobby. You have no clue what he/she put in tank including Copper.. its a metal your never removing period. Dont do it...

jsmith said:
Never buy live rock off craigslist dont make that mistake
. Theres usally reason people get out of the hobby. You have no clue what he/she put in tank including Copper.. its a metal your never removing period. Dont do it...

Enough copper dosed you will never sustain corals for a long period of time.

Another reason i dont use pvc for my tanks ABS or HDPE only. PVC including FPVC leeches enough of a long period time to cause cancer in humans... my source im a product develop engineer in the plastics field. Dont use it.

Back
Top Bottom