Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just bought a 6 oz bottle of Tigger Copepods made by Reef Nutrition. I do not have a sump or am I not ready to cultivate any copepods right now. All I want to do is feed my Scooter Dragonet. Can someone hint me as what is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Itrained mine onto frozen food by feeding small amounts several times a day. I used a turkey baster and shut down the flow since they are so delicate eaters. It took about a month to wean mine onto frozen so i consider myself lucky.

good luck!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been wanting a mandarin goby for years but I'm afraid to get one due to them being known as picky eaters. When you QT them, is that the best time to try and train them to eat frozen foods etc? Or is this too stressful on them? How big of a tank do they need to be in? Guess I need to research it again. I pretty much gave up the idea when I read how hard it was to get them to eat.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I started both of my dragonets in a 29g biocube which gave me a great chance to get them eating prepared foods since the tank is so small. BUT I also have an ORA mandarin which was supposedly raised on pellet food so I may have had a head start with mine. I also had a refugium and lots and lots of pods in the tank which both dragonets ate up completely while they were being weaned which if I hadn't had in the tank there is no doubt in my mind both fish would not have made it.

Generally people say a mandarin should be in a super large tank only because the bigger the tank the more live rock and therefore more pods for them to eat. I've seen recommendations that they need a minimum tank size of 10g with 50lbs of rock!! They dont need the swim room but the pods that are on the live rock. That should give you some idea of what they require.

If I had the choice to make again whether or not to get a mandarin I might not be so gung ho in going with one. It was ALOT of work feeding multiple times a day and keeping the power in the tank off during feeding and then dealing with bad water parameters because of the over feeding. If you have the time, money and patience then i don't see why you couldn't try it if your tank is established.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I started both of my dragonets in a 29g biocube which gave me a great chance to get them eating prepared foods since the tank is so small. BUT I also have an ORA mandarin which was supposedly raised on pellet food so I may have had a head start with mine. I also had a refugium and lots and lots of pods in the tank which both dragonets ate up completely while they were being weaned which if I hadn't had in the tank there is no doubt in my mind both fish would not have made it.

Generally people say a mandarin should be in a super large tank only because the bigger the tank the more live rock and therefore more pods for them to eat. I've seen recommendations that they need a minimum tank size of 10g with 50lbs of rock!! They dont need the swim room but the pods that are on the live rock. That should give you some idea of what they require.

If I had the choice to make again whether or not to get a mandarin I might not be so gung ho in going with one. It was ALOT of work feeding multiple times a day and keeping the power in the tank off during feeding and then dealing with bad water parameters because of the over feeding. If you have the time, money and patience then i don't see why you couldn't try it if your tank is established.
I'm having a hard time with mine. I was told when they start getting to the point of malnutrition I hear that their tail starts to turn a reddish color.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk

I'm having a hard time with mine. I was told when they start getting to the point of malnutrition I hear that their tail starts to turn a reddish color.
Im not sure about that one but the best way to tell of hes malnourished is if the stomach is sunk in. A fat stomach means he is getting his fill.

Also to the above posters buying pods for a mandarin or scooter that you are trying to get to eat prepared foods is not a good idea. With plenty of pods they tend to not even look at prepared foods, so your kinda hurting your odds. I would reserve the pods for a malnourished fish if he refuses to eat prepared for a good 2 weeks.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. Mine has a reder tail yellow on his fins and he seems to be completely fine. I think he's even starting to eat the cyclopeeze I'm puttin in there.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine as well with a red tail and even a little of yellow on the fins. He eats the frozen food that I put in. I recently just copepods in but they disappeared but he seems to be fine
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well today I noticed my Scooter Dragonet eating the frozen Mysis Shrimp. I turned off all water circulation pumps and skimmer before I fed the tank and I saw him going at the Mysis as it dropped to the bottom of the tank. It gave me such a joy! Hallelujah!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk
Well today I noticed my Scooter Dragonet eating the frozen Mysis Shrimp. I turned off all water circulation pumps and skimmer before I fed the tank and I saw him going at the Mysis as it dropped to the bottom of the tank. It gave me such a joy! Hallelujah!
Grats!

Tags
blenny, scooter blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com