Scooter Blenny / Dragonette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I understand that these creatures are like Mandarins and require lots of pods. I have about 35lbs of LR (29Gal tank). 4lbs of LR rubble in the canister filter and 2 lbs rubble in the skimmer chamber. The tank is around 8 months old. I figure the rubble under the skimmer and in the canister can provide some minimal pod production.

I have added 1 bottle of AquaPods ( CRASupply: AquaPodshttp://www.crasupply.com/mm5/mercha...ore_Code=CRA&Product_Code=AP&Category_Code=LC ) to the system so far to boost the pod population.

IF I were to aquire one of these scooter blennies, what do you think would be the frequency I would have to add one of these bottles of AquaPods? I'm just spitballing here.

I wonder if you would be able to produce enough pods in a 29 gallon. When you go to get one I would ask the LFS to show you one that is eating prepared foods and get him to show you. They can be taught to eat flake and mysis.

i have a scooter blennie they are the Best. ive had it for 4 months and i have only added one bottle also. pods reproduce like crazy, i also have a mandarin and a spotted mandarin and they do fine. if i see that they are not picking at the rocks then i will get another bottle but for now they look good.
OH ALSO IVE SEEN THE SCOOTER eaT LEFT OVER FOODS AT THE BOTTOM

Last edited:
I had a red spotted blenny that ate frozen. But I made the LFS feed them while I was there to make sure.

I wonder if you would be able to produce enough pods in a 29 gallon. When you go to get one I would ask the LFS to show you one that is eating prepared foods and get him to show you. They can be taught to eat flake and mysis.

Oh,I'm positive I WONT be able to produce enough pods in a 29Gal. I was banking on the LR rubble to act as a production buffer as the population droped inbetween adding more of the aquapods. I just wasnt sure how often I would need to add them...If it was 1 bottle bi-weekly, I could handle that. If it was 1 bottle every couple days....forget it.

A bottle of pods 2 -3 times a week may cover you. These things eat a lot of pods.

Lamaseta17 has a 100 gallon tank. I have a 125. Those tanks can breed enough pods to sustain a dragonette. A 29 gallon can not unless you add a 50 gallon or larger refugium to it for breeding pods. You also want diversity in the pod population. A bottle of tigger pods alone is going to get very boring. You should look at getting a couple of differenent detrivore kits from different suorces.

Make sure it is eating prepared food before buying one.

Yeah..It's like I thought... Not a good Idea. I want anything I add to be happy, not just survive. If I see one that eats prepared foods, Then Maybe. Otherwise...I'm not going to torture a fish just so I can have one.

Back
Top Bottom