Scraping live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have that rust coloured algae and its on my live rock. The good thing for me is that it doesn't seem to be spreading. Its ugly and I want to know if it would be wise to scrape it off.

how old is the tank? Rust colored is it diatoms or cyno? does it look like dust when you bruch it or is it slimy? any pics..

It isn't slimy its more like dust. Occasionaly I have to clean it off of the glass. I dont have a camera sorry. My tank is only four months old. This happened after I used a pepper based med to get rid of ich.

Why are you getting ich? you need to post info on the tank, size, water parameters, fish, lr, sand? skimmer? Temp, Salinity levels.. water you use... If your getting ich you have other issues going on. Either you got a bad fish from the LFS and or stress in the tank some how.

seaham358 said:
Why are you getting ich? you need to post info on the tank, size, water parameters, fish, lr, sand? skimmer? Temp, Salinity levels.. water you use... If your getting ich you have other issues going on. Either you got a bad fish from the LFS and or stress in the tank some how.
My fish no longer have ich, the fish that had ich is no longer with us. When he was in the tank was around the same time the algae started and was spreading, since his departure its just there. Some of its gone due to my peppermint shrimp but I would love to see all go.

It sounds like diatoms. I still have them after 10 yrs. I have to clean my glass off every couple days. When you are cycling they come on pretty good but after IME they stick around enough to dirty up the glass. Thus the reason for the mag float.

I recognized that the rocks that had the rust coloured rust was in direct flow with the PH. I cleaned the PH turned off the lights and it seems to be clearing up.

I have the same type of algae growing in my tank right now too!!. My tank has been up over a year. The only change is I added some reef lighting and now the algae is growing on a couple of my rocks. It really is only on the base rock. Should It be cleaned off?

You could toss in a Mexican Turbo Snail. Those things will tear up Diatoms. I had a diatom outbreak a few months ago and I went to my LFS, picked up three MTS and the next day the tank was clean. But also reducing light helps out with diatoms. Dont scrape it off if you buy MTS.

i have same problem too right now!!!!.... im in my cycle and that rust color is spreading everywhere... ima have to turn off my lights i guess.... and get some snails too

Dont get snails yet they will die in that tank. It`s just your cycle. Be patient. When the cycle is over you`ll do a 33% PWC and then you can add your clean up crew.

mike3epanda, like stated above you have a different issue and it should pass in time.. Just sit back and wait during a cycle.

it says on the Bio Spira that I can add livestock overnight but i guess im not adding any until my ammonia & nitrite is at 0

mike3epanda said:
it says on the Bio Spira that I can add livestock overnight but i guess im not adding any until my ammonia & nitrite is at 0

Take the bio spira and throw it in the garbage... Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.. Only bad things happen fast..

Back
Top Bottom