Sea urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimmyVoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I was wondering all about keeping a sea urchin due to limited advice on their predators and tankmates. Thanks you!

Sea urchins are mostly eaten by triggers, eels and puffers/boxfish. As long as you don't have one of these they won't be eaten :p. They only eat all forms of algae from short to long haired -.^. They won't touch your corals, but if they are not secured to the rocks they will be knocked down. The long-spinned sea urchins are poisons, but should be safe for humans. I would highly recommended getting a sea urchin that has short spins. They EAT a tone of algae a day. So, if you don't have much algae to go around don't get one. If you have an algae problem they are your cure.

puffballurchin said:
Sea urchins are mostly eaten by triggers, eels and puffers/boxfish. As long as you don't have one of these they won't be eaten :p. They only eat all forms of algae from short to long haired -.^. They won't touch your corals, but if they are not secured to the rocks they will be knocked down. The long-spinned sea urchins are poisons, but should be safe for humans. I would highly recommended getting a sea urchin that has short spins. They EAT a tone of algae a day. So, if you don't have much algae to go around don't get one. If you have an algae problem they are your cure.

Just don't get a pencil urchin.Even if you have your corals wedged in they will even move rocks.Speaking from personal experience.

I have a puffer and an eel! Oh no! How would they eat the urchin if they have spines?

Ah:( the reason for my interest in them is their love for algae and after a year of keeping my tank I have constant growth of it and I figured why not look into it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom