Seachem Marine Buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! My ph has been at 7.8 for a long time now and it hasnt been a major issue. I want to add some corals now and I know that before I do the ph needs to be around 8.2. I bought some Seachem Marine Buffer.(Supposedly raises to and maintains a ph of 8.3)

Does anyone know if this is a good product? Or is there something better?

Thank You! All advice is appreciated.

How old is your tank?
What kind of sand?
Do you have a cover on it? Glass?

I currently use Red Sea brand salt. What are some brands of salt that are better? Would it be bad to start using a different brand of salt?

My tank has been up and running for a little over 2 months. It is glass, and it does have a cover. There are some pictures in my profile so that you can see what type of cover it is.

i couldnt tell from the pictures, but is it a glass lid? if so, that could be why the ph is low... if you dont get good oxygen exchange, it can cause the ph to drop... i had the same problem until i corrected it... thats why most sw guys use mesh netting or a canopy

+1 that's why I asked. And the fact that your tank is very young and you should expect some minor PH swings.

The lid is plastic. There is an opening in the back of the lid (about 3inches wide) Is that okay?

So do you guys think I should use the PH buffer, or just leave it alone?

To many Newbies add additives to their tanks and end up with a virtual "pea soup". I would try to remove the top...you have nothing in there that would jump out anyway and see if the ph raises.

Seachem's Marine buffer does work good and it safely raises your PH to 8.3 and will not raise it more than 8.3 even if you overdose. Now as others advised you dont need to use buffers if you are doing partial water changes regularly with a good quality salt, salt will buffer your pH always. You need to use buffers only when you have an established tank with an extra number of livestocks and your PH has problems.

My recommendation would be to do it over time with your water changes. Many people, myself included, never use buffers as the water changes are enough to take care of things.

BTW, in my previous days when I just couldn't wait for things to settle "naturually" I have used that product and it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom